• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MCSD or Degree

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MCSD or Degree

Hi,

I've been in IT for years now, both permie and contract. I've done all sorts of things from IBM Mainframe Assembler, through Unix Admin & scripting to Dot Net with C#.

I want to focus on DotNet development, and although I've done a fair bit of "unofficial" development work for my current employer, I''m not employed as a developer. I can probably "massage" my CV to some extent, but to make up for my lack of provable commercial experience, I'm considering studying for an MCSD or an OU degree in a computing discipline.

Which of the two would carry most weight for a potential employer? Which one would require more work? I have my suspicions, but I don't know for sure, or to what extent they differ.

Any advice, opinions or (preferably humourous) abuse welcome!

Thanks,
    Dynosoar.

Def the OU route.
    Better still taking a lower rate contract and getting hands on experience in .NET and taking the OU at the same time to get a good understanding of the foundations of the core agonistic skills (OOD, Patterns) etc
    MCSD waste of time and you can actually pass them without knowing how to develop software. They test you on very Microsofty specific things

Comment

Defintely go the degree route. No question. If you want to get things done quickly and can take the strain, doing an M.Sc. somewhere like Birkbeck in the evenings gets it all over and done with in potentially 2 years. Hard work though.

Comment

I got part of my .Net MCSD.... and its tulipe. Not worth doing. Its forces you to learn all the marketing features that Microsoft want you to know, and ignores the fundamentals. Its Bollox and I wish I had not wasted my time. :\

Comment

The degree will get you infinitely more respect than the MCSD. No contest. But you are allowed to do both, you know. MCSD is 5 exams, each one of which should take say 3 weeks to prepare for, i.e. zilch effort and cost compared to the degree.

good luck,
          tl

Comment

Working...
          X