• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone seen a recession yet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone seen a recession yet?

I know it's big news, on the BBC news evey night, so it "must be true" but has anybody actually seen any sign of this recession yet? Personally, I mean.

I am not aware personaly of any business that have shut down, or anyone who has lost their job or lost their money in a bank. I don't know any contractors who have been on the bench any longer than usual. I don't even know anyone who hasn't been able to sell their house, and I know a few who have sold in the last 3 months.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this recession (so far) is completely restricted to the "investment classes" - those who have money to burn in speculative ventures, like Icelandic banks and BTLs.

Go into any high street and you won't see it quieter than usual. The supermarkets are still packed on a Saturday morning. Petrol is way down in price (under 100p this weekend by all accounts) and the roads are still packed with cars. The TV is telling us all how to save money and tighten our belts through the credit crunch, but I don't see much evidence of it happening, or even any reason why we should.

I'm not stupid, I know these things filter through the economy and it will reach "ordinary people" in time, but so far I have seen any little real change in economic activity in any area of my life, and I won't be doing anything differently until I do.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Roads and shops still seem packed - only thing I have seen is our neighbour (we are semi - they are the other half) where BOTH have lost their jobs!

Comment

I've got to admit, there's a massive difference in Sunderland - has been noticable for the last 3 - 6 months.
      Thursday and Friday nights the pubs are empty, and Saturdays are only marginally better.
      Durham is exactly thr same.

So the very poor are being hit hard - spare cash which would have gone on drinking (in the North East that tends to be people's "treat" money) is now going on utilities/fuel costs/etc There's just no money left for pubs and entertainment.

There've been a few restaraunts and quite a few pubs close - scarey times.
      Last edited by SallyAnne; 17 October 2008, 07:02.
      The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
        So the very poor are being hit hard - spare cash which would have gone on drinking (in the North East that tends to be people's "treat" money) is now going on utilities/fuel costs/etc There's just no money left pubs and entertainment.
        That might explain it, I'm too middle class to notice the recession yet I'm sure it's coming this way, with knobs on.
        Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
          I don't even know anyone who hasn't been able to sell their house, and I know a few who have sold in the last 3 months.
          Only 2 houses have been put up for sale in our little street since we bought last year, both identical to ours: one sold later in the year for a good 10% more than ours, then last week one for 10% less. It's not suicidally depressing, but it is down.

Petrol is down in price because in a global recession, demand for oil will be less. It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good.*

But in general, as you say, no big deal yet. I have pointed out here recently that if you stay in work, a recession (or even a depression) need not be all that bad.

* meaning: a wind that blew nobody any good, would indeed have earned the right to be called an ill wind. Therefore anything but the most ill wind, will blow somebody some good. (Note that this is a generalisation about winds and what they blow: not a specific statement that the recession is an ill wind; if anything I am implying that it is not an ill wind)

Comment

I've got to admit, there's a massive difference in Sunderland - has been noticable for the last 3 - 6 months.
            Thursday and Friday nights the pubs are empty, and Saturdays are only marginally better.
            That's 'cos you're married. The male population don't see the need to be out trying to hit on you. You have single-handedly brought misery to the entire North-East.
            Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster View Post
              That's 'cos you're married. The male population don't see the need to be out trying to hit on you. You have single-handedly brought misery to the entire North-East.
              It's probably balanced by having spent years single-handedly bringing pleasure to the entire North-East.

Or should I not have put it exactly that way?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                It's probably balanced by having spent years single-handedly bringing pleasure to the entire North-East.

Or should I not have put it exactly that way?
                I bit of a mouthful I think....or is that something else?
                Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Durham is exactly thr same.

So the very poor are being hit hard - spare cash which would have gone on drinking (in the North East that tends to be people's "treat" money) is now going on utilities/fuel costs/etc There's just no money left for pubs and entertainment.

There've been a few restaraunts and quite a few pubs close - scarey times.
                  As you say, the bills must explain a lot. But don't you think people have twigged that they can buy 8 tinnies and stay in watching TV (and smoking in the house if they're smokers!) far cheaper than going to the pub for three pints?
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

No. They keep going on about 1997(?) too but can't say I had any prob getting work then. I do recall nightly news about places closing though.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X