• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lack of payment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lack of payment

I am contracting direct at the moment, started middle of August, the client still haven’t paid me a penny, I’ve been chasing finance for weeks now but no results, I don’t even know if the delay is because of inefficient finance people or due to authorisation or lack of funds, am just not getting any answers apart from the usual email saying they’ll chase it up, but not hear from them again. Obviously worried and feeling demotivated. In the presence climate I want to be careful not to appear heavy handed, its not like I can just walk away, but on the other had am so annoyed and feel like not turning up for work till I get paid.
    Btw: the company I work for is a large international company, not financial, and not suffering any financial hardships.

Not really sure what line to take.

Originally posted by SouthRoute55 View Post
    Well what does your contract say? It should have a terms of payment clause, usually x days after invoicing.

This is why we use agents, you know. Going direct is only doable if you aren't too worried about cash flow.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
      Well what does your contract say? It should have a terms of payment clause, usually x days after invoicing.

This is why we use agents, you know. Going direct is only doable if you aren't too worried about cash flow.
      Yes my contract is clear about the payment within xx days of invoicing, its the first thing I ensured, am not too worried about the cash flow, but still not happy about not getting paid, and rather have the money in my bank to gain interest. Also was not worried that there is no money in the budget.

Comment

so finally we admit that DAs have their use!!

Comment

Yes my contract is clear about the payment within xx days of invoicing, its the first thing I ensured, am not too worried about the cash flow, but still not happy about not getting paid, and rather have the money in my bank to gain interest. Also was not worried that there is no money in the budget.
          Well it'll have to be your call. There's no point hanging into their goodwill for further extensions if they won't pay you on the existing contract. It may be worth getting your accountant or friendly lawyer to write to them instead of you. Sometimes a shot across the bows can sort them out.
          Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

I am contracting direct at the moment, started middle of August, the client still haven’t paid me a penny, I’ve been chasing finance for weeks now but no results, I don’t even know if the delay is because of inefficient finance people or due to authorisation or lack of funds, am just not getting any answers apart from the usual email saying they’ll chase it up, but not hear from them again. Obviously worried and feeling demotivated. In the presence climate I want to be careful not to appear heavy handed, its not like I can just walk away, but on the other had am so annoyed and feel like not turning up for work till I get paid.
            Btw: the company I work for is a large international company, not financial, and not suffering any financial hardships.

Phone and talk to someone. Don't rant, just get either an answer, or a commitment to get an answer, in which case get a follow-up date (like 2 days hence), and call them again then if you have to.

Comment

Evidence suggests that the risk of not being paid is higher with an agency than with "a large international company, not financial, and not suffering any financial hardships."

Comment

If you are **sure** you will get paid eventually then, IMO, you should keep talking to them nicely. And look for another job.

I remember one contractor at Abbey National in early nineties was in similar situation to you - waited until contract over then issued winding up order! They paid up real quick.......

Comment

Find the trail of what happens to the invoice. It is not down to inefficiency if companies do not pay quickly.. quite the reverse. These companies have deliberate payment processes designed to enable them to hold on to as much cash for as long as they can. Once you have tracked the movement/processing of an invoice you can then do something to find where the blocks are. Once you have done this you can then put your hand down the sink and unblock. Dont forget to wear rubber(kid) gloves whilst you are doing it.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Failing all the above, threaten to walk
                    Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Working...
                    X