• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cant afford petrol?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant afford petrol?

http://toccionline.kizash.com/films/1001/178/

Well made me chuckle

Refuelled at cost of 99.9p per liter of diesel, total £50 per tank.

Hating brown stuff all the time the fuel was slowly going into the tank - priceless.

Comment

well it's not all doom and gloom here in Germany I refueled on Saturday evening on the highway for the bargain price of 1.15 Euro a litre.

compared to the UK it's a good price guvnor.

Milan.

Comment

I have to take out a mortgage to fill my car - it has a 20 gallon tank.

It's diesel, so I have now started using vegetable oil. I have registered with C&E and pay 27p per litre as duty. Good job they don't know how much I put in though.
        Do you think people who pack the confectionary into boxes at fudge making factories tell people what they do for a living?

Comment

Originally posted by sparklelard

It's diesel, so I have now started using vegetable oil. I have registered with C&E and pay 27p per litre as duty. Good job tey don't know how much I put in though.
          Not bad if you want to drive round in something smelling like a mobile chippy.

What's the total cost? Conversion, oil, servicing, etc...

BTW, any reason why Gas Turbines aren't run on cooking oil?
          Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
          You know you'll need us!

Comment

No conversion required. I use a 50/50 mix - Diesel to SVO. The oil acts as an excellent lubricant to the fuel pump.

As to the smell, it's not too bad - actually quite pleasant as there are less noxious hydrocarbons being emmitted.

It's recommended that the filters are changed quarterly. The company I deal with sells oil, fuel and air filters, as a complete kit, for £10.
            Do you think people who pack the confectionary into boxes at fudge making factories tell people what they do for a living?

Comment

sparklehead,

are you serious or joking ?

more people will certainly want to be going this way

what car do you have with a 100l diesel tank... a toyota landcruiser ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by sparklelard

It's diesel, so I have now started using vegetable oil. I have registered with C&E and pay 27p per litre as duty. Good job they don't know how much I put in though.
                Rather than run on Veg oil straight (which can lead to gunge building up all over the place) why not convert the vegetable oil into "proper" biodiesel?

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiese....html#3choices

"One thing that will happen is that your cold starts will begin to deteriorate. Then your filter will probably start plugging. Then your injectors will likely, in time, get coked up. Then the spray pattern will be wonky. Then you'll set the stage for ring sticking, glazing of the cylinder walls, increased lube oil consumption and eventual engine failure -- if you can continue to get the thing started in the morning. More than 20% or so in the diesel is not a good plan for more than short term 'experiments'. Unfortunately, you're not doing anything new here, Nick, and if it was as easy as running high percentages of SVO in diesel, and being able to maintain reliability, we'd all have gone that way long ago. Regards, Edward Beggs, Neoteric Biofuels Inc"

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  Hating brown stuff all the time the fuel was slowly going into the tank - priceless.
                  Pumping brown stuff into your tank? I guess that compost fuel reclamation technology must be getting more advanced than I thought. (Wonder what the exhaust smells like though.)
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I drive a Mitsubishi Pajero. The link --> Pajero Owners Club - Bio-Diesel give you a lot of information from what is required to the Customs and Excise issues.

Just saw the news on Ch. 5 and it had a piece on bio-diesel. One chap used Straight Vegetable Oil, pays 27p per litre duty and his costs are 5p per mile.

If he gets waste vegetable oil, which you then have to strain through a 5 micron filter, then his running costs drop to 2p per mile. WVO can be got free of charge from chip shops or pubs as they have to dispose of it somewhere.

As mentioned in me previous post, I will change filters every three months.

As I run 50/50, I avoid the gunking up.

Comment

Working...
                    X