• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permie interview

Just had one.

I got on okay with the techie manager, but there was also an HR numptie asking all sorts of HR numptie questions. I did okay through all the "strengths and weaknesses" BS, apart from "tell us something unusual about yourself" for which my mind went entirely blank and I couldn't think of a thing.

Even the techie guy was more interested in talking about my career progression than anything technical.

And if I'm successful, there'll be a second interview with other non-techy senior managers.

Weird how different it is. It goes far beyond selling your skill for money. It's not just that I was being expected to sell my soul to them, I was being asked to justify why they should accept my offer to sell my soul to them.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Permie Interview

Just had one.
    Stone 'im
    Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

"tell us something unusual about yourself" for which my mind went entirely blank and I couldn't think of a thing.
      That swung it for you – definite permie material.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

My last permie interview asked "when was the last time you lost your temper, and why?"

I blamed it on my 15 month old.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          My last permie interview asked "when was the last time you lost your temper, and why?"

I blamed it on my 15 month old.
          The correct answer is "I got a bit ratty with myself for not solving a problem in my own, self-assigned, very short time limit."

Comment

Just had one.
            I can only assume you must have a large and very worrying mortgage ?

Comment

I love the HR questions in an interview!

What could they possibly have found out about you from the question
              "Tell me something unusual about yourself?"

They will say it is to enable you to think on your feet but this is absolute rubbish - any muppet knows that if asked a question during the course of a normal business day that puts you on the spot the correct answer is "Not sure - I will look into it and get back to you" and then as long as you keep the person informed of your progress all is fine.

This type of question is trotted out by HR muppets as they think putting people on the spot during an interview with a pointless question shows who is the boss.

Obviously they should be entitled to ask you some questions about a specific skill set designed to put you on the spot as if you have the skill you should be able to answer.

An interview is a conversation with a purpose - the purpose being to ascertain whether you are suitable for the job - what bearing does having something unusual to tell about yourself have on whether you will be suitable for the job you are being interviewed for?

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                I can only assume you must have a large and very worrying mortgage ?
                Not at all, and I have a new contract lined up too. But it's a particularly interesting company to work for, and having been invited to an interview I thought I'd go along and see.

But TBH the new contract is a crap rate, and this permie job is a pretty good salary and wouldn't be that much less take home pay. So it's tempting, if only to get the longer term security. If I can make it through the interview process without screaming that is.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

But TBH the new contract is a crap rate, and this permie job is a pretty good salary and wouldn't be that much less take home pay. So it's tempting, if only to get the longer term security.
                  Yeh because permies never get laid off, obviously.
                  Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Not at all, and I have a new contract lined up too. But it's a particularly interesting company to work for, and having been invited to an interview I thought I'd go along and see.

But TBH the new contract is a crap rate, and this permie job is a pretty good salary and wouldn't be that much less take home pay. So it's tempting, if only to get the longer term security. If I can make it through the interview process without screaming that is.
                    Good luck Vectra - I hope you get what you want.

How long have you been a contractor for? Do you thnk you'll find it a culture shock?

ps - I dont think the HR questions are there to trip you up, or for them to show you who's boss - I thnk they're there to try and get a feel for your personality. See if you're a nice person, and if you'll fit in with the team etc. Some of you lot are very paranoid and angry towards the permie world. It's not *that* bad!
                    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                    X