• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Broken car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken car

Was reversing into a loading bay, and didn't notice a metal pole sticking out of it, which went through my rear window.

OTOH, the guy working on the bay helped clear up the broken glass. And when I drove the car round to the volvo garage, they lent me a brand new V70 (for £30 a day, including petrol) until they can fix my car - which should be Tuesday.

All paid for by my insurance, of course. Which has a protected no-claims.

Now I've got the new one, I'm not sure I want the old one back...
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

One and only post for the day

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    All paid for by my insurance, of course. Which has a protected no-claims.
    Bad move - even though your NCP will not change, you will have to tell insurance companies that you had this accident in the future for I think at least 3 years, do you think they'd give a monkey about 5 year NCB and give you the same price as if you had not had this accident? I doubt it - NCB in a way is a scam (much like most of insurance), so is its "protection", it's just a way to create another layer of complexity to take your money.

If I were you I'd fully pay up for this case and thereby not make any claim - it would cost you more in a long run otherwise.

Comment

Protected no claims = you keep the discount only

So if you have an accident and say you had 5 years NCD, you get re-rated and get 5 years discount off that.

e.g. previous policy £600 - 50% NCD = £300
      new policy with accident £800 - 50% NCD =£400

without NCD you only lose some of your NCD with an accident usually 2 years.
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Different country, different rules. Thankfully.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

So you think you're so smug. No you're a mug! You should have paid the few hundred euro to fix it yourself.

PNC is just insurance on cost of insurance . A rip-off in other words. You still have to report the claim should you wish to change to a more competitive insurer in future. You're stuck with the same insurer now and they know it. They'll get their money back and some, over the next few years. . Oh, and living in another country doesn't change the rules.

PS: UK insurance cover windscreens front and rear with no effect on NCB.

Comment

Whs
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Car insurance in this country is a right con. About 18 months ago I had my car broken into when I went into Sainsburys. They nicked my laptop out of the boot (locked and out of sight). In the case was my laptop, the clients laptop, a never used Ipod Nano, my old 40gb Creative labs Mp3 player and a load of other stuff. The car insurance does not cover contents so had to claim on the house. Because some scrote picked my car out of a huge number of cars in the carpark I now have to pay extra simply because my car was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The premium went from 500 to 800 for something which was 100% not my fault.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                Car insurance in this country is a right con. About 18 months ago I had my car broken into when I went into Sainsburys. They nicked my laptop out of the boot (locked and out of sight). In the case was my laptop, the clients laptop, a never used Ipod Nano, my old 40gb Creative labs Mp3 player and a load of other stuff. The car insurance does not cover contents so had to claim on the house. Because some scrote picked my car out of a huge number of cars in the carpark I now have to pay extra simply because my car was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The premium went from 500 to 800 for something which was 100% not my fault.

Sorry, some of the blame is indeed yours. Your car was not targeted at random.

http://www.acjltd.co.uk/main.asp?nid=25

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
                  Sorry, some of the blame is indeed yours. Your car was not targeted at random.

Interesting article. The other day my phone said another phone had tried to send it a message.

Maybe I was about to be mugged. Or maybe it is the rise of the machines?

Comment

that is indeed useful info thanks turion

reminder to self - turn them off before they go in the boot.

Comment

Working...
                    X