• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh dear: Jewish memorial day offends muslims

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear: Jewish memorial day offends muslims

The Times
    Originally posted by The Times
    ADVISERS appointed by Tony Blair after the London bombings are proposing to scrap the Jewish Holocaust Memorial Day because it is regarded as offensive to Muslims.
    How about scrapping Easter and Dewali as well? As long as the fecking muslims are happy.

But that's the whole darn point, stacky, is it really Muslims in general complaining??

"A member of one of the committees?" What does that mean? "Regarded" as offensive - if it was a truly representative Muslim body complaining surely they would know if it was offensive or not? My geuss is that this decision has been made by the usual bleeding heart idiot PC whites on the basis of lobbying by a few Islamic activists.

I doubt your average Mr Azad at the corner shop is terribly offended by a Jewish celebration and I daresay the usually fairly sensible Muslim Council will rebutt this just as they did when some daft lefty council cancelled Christmas decorations and some equally loony education authority banned pictures of pigs in children's books but by then the damage will have been done.

If the complaint has been made by a representative Islamic body then your reaction will be both justified and typical. Anti-Islamic feeling racked up another notch. But is it? I rather doubt it. The uninformed idiocies, double standards and inverted racism of the politically correct do more damage to race relations than suicide bombers and the National Front could manage if they pooled resources.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 11 September 2005, 17:34.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
      But that's the whole darn point, stacky, is it really Muslims in general complaining??

"A member of one of the committees?" What does that mean? "Regarded" as offensive - if it was a truly representative Muslim body complaining surely they would know if it was offensive or not? My geuss is that this decision has been made by the usual bleeding heart idiot PC whites on the basis of lobbying by a few Islamic activists.

I doubt your average Mr Azad at the corner shop is terribly offended by a Jewish celebration and I daresay the usually fairly sensible Muslim Council will rebutt this just as they did when some daft lefty council cancelled Christmas decorations and some equally loony education authority banned pictures of pigs in children's books but by then the damage will have been done.

If the complaint has been made by a representative Islamic body then your reaction will be both justified and typical. Anti-Islamic feeling racked up another notch. But is it? I rather doubt it. The uninformed idiocies, double standards and inverted racism of the politically correct do more damage to race relations than suicide bombers and the National Front could manage if they pooled resources.

I agree. Good to see people still have common sense in these issues

Comment

I agree xog.

Why aren't you drunk tonight?

Comment

I am sorry xog you are talking blithering rubbish.

I was wrong. I have just read today's telegraph and this is in fact fully backed by the Muslim council. So much for my assessment on the basis of previous pronouncements that they are a sensible or moderate body.

The Jews lost six million and yet they are not allowed to commemorate this? It gives the impression that non European lives don't matter because it doesn't mention Palestians killed? Nobody is standing in the way of the MC organising another day to commemorate their memory as far as I know. Holocaust day isn't about Poles or slavs or gypsies or homosexuals or white Brits who dies in Japanese camps for that matter - are any of them complaining?! Are Muslim festivals commendably inclusive of all other faiths and cultures?, I doubt it.

These damn people are me, me, me, me, me. They expect tolerance and give none. If this is really the voice of moderate Islam then it fully deserves all the hatred it gets.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by stackpole
            The Times

How about scrapping Easter and Dewali as well? As long as the fecking muslims are happy.
            Holocaust Memorial Day passed me by completely, but now I do believe I'd like to observe it.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
              Holocaust Memorial Day passed me by completely, but now I do believe I'd like to observe it.
              Me too!! Did read that a couple of Bliar's advisors on Muslim matters have been thrown out of other countries because of their radical views - personally I think he has already converted, hereafter to be know as Iatalka Crappa

Comment

Working...
              X