• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

taxing question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

taxing question

can i move to a country that has a lower tax on pensions than the uk (just about anywhere it seems) and a double taxation agreement and get my pension without being taxed at the uk rate?

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
    can i move to a country that has a lower tax on pensions than the uk (just about anywhere it seems) and a double taxation agreement and get my pension without being taxed at the uk rate?
    "It seems". Why does it seem so? Do you have some examples? Most countries levy the equivalent of NICs on all income (whereas the UK does not on pensions), so the total rate of compulsory deductions may be higher, even if it is not called "income tax".

If you mean state pension, residence in another country while you draw your pension may mean that it is no longer indexed.

Why not ask HMRC and DWP?

Comment

Perhaps he's retiring to Saudi Arabia.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Cyprus has a deal with the UK. Your pension is taxed at a flat rate of 5%. You can draw your private or state pension or both.

HTH

Comment

Malaysia seems nice....

No tax on foreign income - they're also pushing a Malaysia second home programme...

T

Comment

This is impossible to answer without knowing how much your pensions is worth.

A large percentage of pensionsers in the UK pay 0% tax on their pension

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
              This is impossible to answer without knowing how much your pensions is worth.

A large percentage of pensionsers in the UK pay 0% tax on their pension

tim

.... and that percentage is growing every year that Labour are in power.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                .... and that percentage is growing every year that Labour are in power.
                I don't think so, not with 800,000 more civil servants since 1997, all with inflation-proofed final salary pensions.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  I don't think so, not with 800,000 more civil servants since 1997, all with inflation-proofed final salary pensions.

Perhaps I should have qualified my statement with 'in the private sector'.

Imagine the annual cost of those 800,000 non-jobs. If we say an average of 30K salary, that is a staggering 24 Billion pounds a year !!! No wonder that we are in a mess.

Comment

You assume those people don't pay any tax or spend any money
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X