• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business to Business expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business to Business expenses

I have been contracting for a short while and work through an umbrella company, I've just taken my first contract where I am doing field based work so most of the time I will be driving around between offices where needed. The company have said they will pay 0.40p a mile for any business to business mileage and cover any parking charges.

How do those expenses work with my umbrealla company or do they not have anything to do with those expenses as they are an agreement between the company and myself and its just dealt with by myself and the agency/company?

They are most definitely a company expense and should go through your umbrella. They will have two types of expense claims - direct and business. the business ones are for your expenses you wish to get tax exemption from, such as your own mileage, accommodation, meals etc. The direct expenses the company is going to re-imburse you - the umbrella will charge the client directly along with your invoice for time.

Ask you brolly how their direct expenses work.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Fill out an expense claim form, preferably signed and authorised by your client to make payment swift.

Send it to your brolly.

They'll invoice your agency and client. Be prepared to wait as they may not always pay them at the same time as the rest of the invoice (a good time to start leaning on whoever authorised the expense) and when received the brolly will reimburse them back to you.

Simple.

Comment

Working...
      X