• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chickens coming home to roost

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chickens coming home to roost

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...wing-economics

The public finances lurched to a record deficit last month driven by a weakening economy and overspending by the government, and analysts say much worse is yet to come as the economy tips into recession.

The Office for National Statistics said that public sector net borrowing came in higher than expected at £8.1bn, a record for a September and way above the £4.8bn shortfall seen in September last year.

That left the cumulative PSNB for the first half of the 2008/09 fiscal year at £37.6bn versus £21.5bn in the same period a year ago and the highest since records began in 1946.

"The September public finances were dreadful, deteriorating even more than expected. This highlight the extremely poor state of the public finances as they are hit by past largesse, the marked economic slowdown, markedly weak housing market activity and prices, rising unemployment and government policy concessions since the March budget," said Howard Archer, economist at consultancy Global Insight.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008...gages-property

Mortgage lending slumped by 10% in September to its lowest level for more than three-and-a-half years as the housing market slowdown stifled demand for new loans, figures showed today.

The Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML) said its members advanced loans worth £17.7bn over the month, a decline of 42% on September 2007.

Over the course of 2008 net mortgage lending, which takes into account repayments and redemptions, could fall to around a third of last year's figure, it said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...y-slump-crunch

The grim state of the economy is underlined today with research showing business confidence has slumped to a record low as a result of the global credit crisis, while official figures due later this week are expected to to confirm that the UK has tipped into recession. With data published today also expected to show a widening budget deficit, experts warn that the government's plans to boost spending in the face of the recession will cause the deficit to balloon to record levels.

Peter Mandelson, the business secretary, confirmed yesterday that the government was considering bringing forward some spending on schools and hospitals, but denied that this amounted to a policy of "spend, spend, spend".

Oh Dear. Hopefully Labour voters will suffer the most.

Oh come on. The Tories would do far worse !!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
      Oh come on. The Tories would do far worse !!
      I blame Thatcher along with the rest of the lefties on this site.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...wing-economics

The public finances lurched to a record deficit last month driven by a weakening economy and overspending by the government, and analysts say much worse is yet to come as the economy tips into recession.

The Office for National Statistics said that public sector net borrowing came in higher than expected at £8.1bn, a record for a September and way above the £4.8bn shortfall seen in September last year.

That left the cumulative PSNB for the first half of the 2008/09 fiscal year at £37.6bn versus £21.5bn in the same period a year ago and the highest since records began in 1946.

"The September public finances were dreadful, deteriorating even more than expected. This highlight the extremely poor state of the public finances as they are hit by past largesse, the marked economic slowdown, markedly weak housing market activity and prices, rising unemployment and government policy concessions since the March budget," said Howard Archer, economist at consultancy Global Insight.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008...gages-property

Mortgage lending slumped by 10% in September to its lowest level for more than three-and-a-half years as the housing market slowdown stifled demand for new loans, figures showed today.

The Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML) said its members advanced loans worth £17.7bn over the month, a decline of 42% on September 2007.

Over the course of 2008 net mortgage lending, which takes into account repayments and redemptions, could fall to around a third of last year's figure, it said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...y-slump-crunch

The grim state of the economy is underlined today with research showing business confidence has slumped to a record low as a result of the global credit crisis, while official figures due later this week are expected to to confirm that the UK has tipped into recession. With data published today also expected to show a widening budget deficit, experts warn that the government's plans to boost spending in the face of the recession will cause the deficit to balloon to record levels.

Peter Mandelson, the business secretary, confirmed yesterday that the government was considering bringing forward some spending on schools and hospitals, but denied that this amounted to a policy of "spend, spend, spend".

Oh Dear. Hopefully Labour voters will suffer the most.
        Just so long as you remember: Good property in decent areas of London will always rent out
        I'm glad you've made that your sig to remind yourself where to invest in the future. Boomed!
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

... overspending by the government ...
          Well, strip me down and call me Andyw!

I would never believe I would ever see the Guardian print that!
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            Well, strip me down and call me Andyw!

I would never believe I would ever see the Guardian print that!
            Even the Guardian realise that New Labour have ****ed up Britain beyond all recognition.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Just so long as you remember: Good property in decent areas of London will always rent out
              http://www.globrix.com/property/rent...lham%2C+London

Only 300 of 1943 mappable properties are shown.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I was surprised by an article in The Sunday Times over the weekend showing that we were infact the least indebted nation of the G7 in terms of percentage GDP

The debt was rising fast, infact very fast and I'm not sure if it included PFI and other fiddles but it was still a surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                  I was surprised by an article in The Sunday Times over the weekend showing that we were infact the least indebted nation of the G7 in terms of percentage GDP

The debt was rising fast, infact very fast and I'm not sure if it included PFI and other fiddles but it was still a surprise.

Was the article written by Gordon Brown ?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                    Was the article written by Gordon Brown ?
                    Who knows. Certainly you should reject any opportunity to accept fact over your own pre-existing thoughts.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X