• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

1984 - The Labour handbook

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1984 - The Labour handbook

Passports will be needed to buy mobile phones

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4969312.ece

" Everyone who buys a mobile telephone will be forced to register their identity on a national database under government plans to extend massively the powers of state surveillance.

Phone buyers would have to present a passport or other official form of identification at the point of purchase. Privacy campaigners fear it marks the latest government move to create a surveillance society.

A compulsory national register for the owners of all 72m mobile phones in Britain would be part of a much bigger database to combat terrorism and crime. Whitehall officials have raised the idea of a register containing the names and addresses of everyone who buys a phone in recent talks with Vodafone and other telephone companies, insiders say.
    ..............."

I liked this comment:

everyone just swap phones .

Benzo, Nr Chelmsford,

Benzo, benzo, benzo
    Bored.

New Labour have no concept of individual freedoms. It's all about monitoring and control. Control of every aspect of every persons life.

Comment

How long before the UK is renamed Airstrip 1?

Comment

I was talking to an Aussie barmaid about that last nigh. “That’s creepy”, was her first response. The reason why I asked her, and she confirmed it, was to check on the secondary market in pre-paid phones: as someone leaves they pass/sell the phone on to a new arrival.

There must be so many means that will invalidate the data to make it worthless to the point of being dangerous. That is not going to stop them though.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

They'll just make the law like the speed cameras. If the phone registered to you is involved in a terrorist offence, it's up to you to prove that it wasn't you what done it.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Makes me absolutely fckin furious.

I now hardly anyone who's happy with this level of surveillance of their lives, no matter what banner they try to push it through on. WTF was the vote or debate on this with the public at large?

Yet they're happy to avoid us scrutinizing their fcking expenses. Scumbags the lot of them.
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              They'll just make the law like the speed cameras. If the phone registered to you is involved in a terrorist offence, it's up to you to prove that it wasn't you what done it.
              ANY
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

The ignorance and arrogance of New Labour is stunning.

Lets monitor every piece of every person life and put red tape into every aspect of every persons life (in the name of terrorism).

Now Mr Terrorist and co need some mobile phones. They'll use overseas registered mobiles or steal them or buy them on ebay or use forged papers to get them. No obstacle to them whatsoever, but huge expense and hassle for the tax-payer.

Comment

It's a warning not a ******* manual. *****.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I had to show a passport when I bought a 'pay as you go' phone in Frankfurt in 2003. I saw no problem with this personally, as it was designed to stop criminality.

Comment

Working...
                    X