• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Campaign for Interesting Fiscal Profligacy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Campaign for Interesting Fiscal Profligacy

Folks, I’ve been thinking, and usually, when that happens, mad ideas spew out of my brain at the speed of light (or a bit less as the case may be).

Goverments will inevitably spend huge sums of taxpayers’ money on silly projects. See the 12 billion for the national e-mail, internet, telephone and spam database, 1 billion for a system to store all the passport details of mobile phone buyers, umpteen billion for the ID cards system, umpty billion for the NHS system; this all adds up to 100 billion plus, spent on boring stuff that we don’t really need, and I haven’t even counted the cost of saving abysmally managed banks.

Now there was a time when governments blew huge sums of money on big white elephants that were at least interesting, like the Apollo moon missions, concorde, the fabulous Humber Bridge, the channel tunnel and the Hubble.

There’s no point in campaigning for politicians to stop wasting our money, it’s a lost cause; so my new tactic is to campaign for them to spend, spend, spend as much as they like, on one condition; that whatever they build makes ‘the whole world say ‘wow!’

How about a hypersonic replacement for Concorde, to fly to Australia in a few hours? A mission to put people on Mars? A European network of 500 kph magnetic levitation trains?

For crying out loud, if you must blow taxpayers money, give us something interesting in return!

(as a side benefit, all these ideas would require vast numbers of IT contractors)

Any more ideas?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

I'd vote for that...

I'd also vote for 15 new hospitals around the country.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

(as a side benefit, all these ideas would require vast numbers of IT contractors)

Work Permits.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Work Permits.
        Great, but with the new hypersonic jets and the 500 kph trains they can all live in Northern Norway and commute!

Comment

What can be more interesting than searching bins for food scraps?

Comment

Chav eugenics would be both costly and fun.

Comment

This would have been fun, and it costs only about 1/50th of that stupid NHS system;
              http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7677349.stm

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
                Chav eugenics would be both costly and fun.
                Not for you as it would result in your balls being cut off.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Not for you as it would result in your balls being cut off.
                  You are a lesbian.

Comment

Working...
                  X