• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sterling strength against Euro???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sterling strength against Euro???

It looks like Sterling is creeping back up to 1.28/1.29 aginst the euro despite the unremitting doom coming out of Britain.

Not saying there isn't pleanty of doom in euroland, but its not quite as grim as our doom - there are some things at which Britain still leads the world

So why is sterling drifting upwards when the consensus was/is that it is heading way down?

Originally posted by Rantor View Post
    It looks like Sterling is creeping back up to 1.28/1.29 aginst the euro despite the unremitting doom coming out of Britain.

Not saying there isn't pleanty of doom in euroland, but its not quite as grim as our doom - there are some things at which Britain still leads the world

So why is sterling drifting upwards when the consensus was/is that it is heading way down?

.... because our interest rates are so high, and that is also one of the reasons why we are now in a recession.

Comment

fx traders love a straight line trend.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
        .... because our interest rates are so high, and that is also one of the reasons why we are now in a recession.

Yeah if only they were lower, we could have avoided all this inflation and property bubble madness.
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          Yeah if only they were lower, we could have avoided all this inflation and property bubble madness.

Keep 'em high. It helps the Tories.

Comment

i'm £500 down this month compared to last because of the exchange rate
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              fx traders love a straight line trend.
              Indeed, there are loads of bank fx 'research' docs from the start of the year that seemed to predic the straight line decline followed by a wee upswing.

I just can't figure out whether there is any 'real' reason for the strength of the pound to increase now - it might just be a blip I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                Keep 'em high. It helps the Tories.
                We have had consistently higher rates than the eurozone/Us but it didn't stop sterling from sliding.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                  I'm trying to get most of my ill-gotten into euros so that we can buy somewhere when the belgos realise that proeprty is a wee bit overpriced.

I got some out early on, but whatever way I look at at, shifting big lumps of sterling into euros is gouing to hurt

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                    I had a cheque for ~$10K sent by post from the US... in the 3 weeks it's taken so far to clear, rates have varied between 1.7 & 1.85.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X