• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Idiot question on economy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idiot question on economy

I really don't understand economics at all. If Brownstuff is to increase borrowing, who is he borrowing it from?

It can't be the banks as the govt is pouring money into them, or the US or other countries as they are in the tulipe too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7680449.stm
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    who is he borrowing it from?
    In short - from future generations.

Comment

Yeh, but sort of more specifically. If a new hospital is being built do the contractors get an IOU from the unborn?
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I am trying to work out if it from sovereign wealth funds or printing more.

Comment

so u got a contract building a hospital! dont suppose you need any business analysts 'cos theres **** all else out there at the moment?????

Comment

It's a clever accounting scam that is legal on paper and looks respectable because it comes from the Govt, BoE etc.

Generally speaking in good times Govt can issue bonds that usually get very high rating but attract low interest rate, in current environment of money flowing from depreciating assets it might seem like a good idea, the problem is that if you don't have genuinely attractive conditions to get foreign investment into these, then you'd be stuck with local market - however if you print money to bail them out and have a whisper to get those money invested into your own bonds, then effectively Govt is financing itself using a scam that seeminly minimises inflationary pressures.

The future generations will pay dearly for all this, usually in such cases high inflation is the solution but in this case I think we are looking at Japanese scenario with deflation.

Comment

Originally posted by mailric View Post
              so u got a contract building a hospital! dont suppose you need any business analysts 'cos theres **** all else out there at the moment?????
              Sorry I expect a Business Analyst to write in proper English without me needing to correct the documents before presenting to the client. I certainly wouldn't use your services based on your post.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                without me needing to correct the documents before presenting to the client.
                You'd be out of job then?

Comment

on a more serious note, i think theres an international monetary fund that someone keeps under their mattress.... its a big piggie bank with trillions of cash stashed away for when a country hits hard times. The interest rates are ****** huge and the future tax payers of the country who call on this cash really do take a huge hit for a number of years to pay it back.

so, while the media brag about how good browngimp is doing managing the country through such difficult times.... all he is really doing is borrowing a shed load of cash of the local money shark and by the time they come knocking on our door for it back, he'll be well gone and the stupid voters will have forgotten all about it.

interestingly, the last time this fund was used was for bailing the good old UK out in the late 60s (i think).

ps: this is only my understanding and i could be wrong as i know **** all about politics and economics.... though i do read the daily mail... sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by mailric View Post
                    on a more serious note, i think theres an international monetary fund that someone keeps under their mattress.... its a big piggie bank with trillions of cash stashed away for when a country hits hard times. The interest rates are ****** huge and the future tax payers of the country who call on this cash really do take a huge hit for a number of years to pay it back.

so, while the media brag about how good browngimp is doing managing the country through such difficult times.... all he is really doing is borrowing a shed load of cash of the local money shark and by the time they come knocking on our door for it back, he'll be well gone and the stupid voters will have forgotten all about it.

interestingly, the last time this fund was used was for bailing the good old UK out in the late 60s (i think).

ps: this is only my understanding and i could be wrong as i know **** all about politics and economics.... though i do read the daily mail... sorry.
                    last time was late seventies - 76/77.

high inflation stopped them just printing money.

IMF demanded government spend less money.....

Comment

Working...
                    X