• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The death of the coffee shops

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The death of the coffee shops

Starbucks already in trouble last year, credit crunch cutbacks. How long for Starbucks, Costa, Cafe Nero et al?
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Mate of mine is a head office type bod for one of the major coffee chains. Believe it or not, their major worry at the moment is people trading down to McDonalds, who have apparently started serving very good proper coffee recently.
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
      Mate of mine is a head office type bod for one of the major coffee chains. Believe it or not, their major worry at the moment is people trading down to McDonalds, who have apparently started serving very good proper coffee recently.
      can't be any worse than starbucks... and to be honest when i'm driving and can't be arsed getting out of the car then a macdonalds drvie through coffee does hit the spot.

Nero had been a favourite of mine when they allowed smoking in the establishment, made it worthwhile. since the smoking ban, there's no reason to choose them over any of the other high street coffee merchants.

Still, when "on the continent" i do notice a distinct lack of starbucks et al
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        can't be any worse than starbucks... and to be honest when i'm driving and can't be arsed getting out of the car then a macdonalds drvie through coffee does hit the spot.

Nero had been a favourite of mine when they allowed smoking in the establishment, made it worthwhile. since the smoking ban, there's no reason to choose them over any of the other high street coffee merchants.

Still, when "on the continent" i do notice a distinct lack of starbucks et al
        That's because they appreciate proper coffee and don't drink that Starbucks rubbish...
        Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
          That's because they appreciate proper coffee and don't drink that Starbucks rubbish...
          True, there's no market niche in much of mainland Europe for the likes of Starbucks since almost every bar, cafe and tobacconist sells good coffee.

Comment

Rusland seems to be coping. Or is that not the kind of "coffee shop" you meant?

Comment

Perhaps people have finally realised they've been duped into paying over the odds for what is just a coffee.

Nothing quite so relaxing as sitting on the footpath of a busy road with ppl walking past you all the time, buses spewing out diesel fumes all over you, and you yelling to be overheard over the din of traffic...

yup, really great way to start the day. Not.

Comment

I never really got Starbucks, although I've only been into one or two. They seem OK apart from being really pricey - £4 for a slice of cake up north is crazy!
                Luckily they haven't taken over Durham yet, which, due to the huge number of students, has a large number of decent coffee shops. If only the studets didn't keep making them so busy...

Oh yes, and in my book MCDonalds coffee is really not bad at all considering the price - and you don't have high expectations either which helps too
                Last edited by d000hg; 21 October 2008, 07:07.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

MC Donalds are trying to rebrand a bit (as are Pasta Hut) with their Mc Cafes. The ones I have been too are excellent.

I never liked Starbucks, but do use my local Cafe Nero when at home. A mate of mine uses their wifi a lot and calls it his office.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                    But they've been refused loans to buy more. http://www.20min.ch/finance/news/sto...hinen-19753909

( I'm sure there's an English version of the story somewhere ).

I used to get up at 4:15, shower, get in the car at 4:30, then drive three hours to Folkestone. That Burger King coffee I drank while on the shuttle, always tasted great.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X