• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Corporate Tax Clampdown

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corporate Tax Clampdown

Apparently HMRC are going to 'robustly' peruse companies avoiding paying tax on their profits.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7681165.stm

So that mean's we are OK then, as we are not companies but disguised employees right?!?!
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

I think this applies more to multi-national companies that shift profits to a low tax country, but continue to do the majority of their trade in the UK. That is a scandal and does need to be addressed.

Comment

what's interesting is they seem to put as much effort pursuing an IT Contractor for a shortfall of £10K under IR35 as they do on a FTSE company turning over ££ billions and paying zero corp tax through complex avoidance techniques.

Madness.

Comment

If this meant lower taxes for the rest of us I would be cheering from the rooftops.
        It doesnt.
        It means that the government will have even more money to waste and that prices will go up.

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          what's interesting is they seem to put as much effort pursuing an IT Contractor for a shortfall of £10K under IR35 as they do on a FTSE company turning over ££ billions and paying zero corp tax through complex avoidance techniques.

Madness.
          But lots of small-time crooks adds up to a big pot-o-gold, and investigating a small number of people as a show of force is presumably supposed to act as a deterrent to everyone else.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            But lots of small-time crooks adds up to a big pot-o-gold, and investigating a small number of people as a show of force is presumably supposed to act as a deterrent to everyone else.
            Considering the article says about 200 large corporates are avoiding about 7 billion I would suggest that even if every one of the 120,000 freelancers (PCG figure) owed 10,000 it would make sense to take all the investigators off IR35 and concentrate on the big boys. Once they are complying then work down the tree. Maybe rethink how to gain most tax better on the way.
            Also consider all those using non dom rules and allocating their bonuses and shares to their wives who live abroad.
            IR35 is truely petty when compared to the sums involved in other areas.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I thought this was a good line

"The fact nearly 60% of the department's inquiries into compliance turn out to produce less than 1% of the additional tax raised constitutes very poor targeting," its chairman Edward Leigh said.

"It is extraordinary that there is no correlation between the resources committed to each inquiry and the amount of tax in question."
              Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Not surprising considering it's the same big companies avoiding tax that make government policy. Aren't these the kind of practises/unfairness that we've been complaining about for over a decade now, and are perhaps finally starting to unwind?

Comment

Personally, I’m proud of how much UK Corporation T HAB Ltd pays.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                    Personally, I’m proud of how much UK Corporation T HAB Ltd pays.
                    farking little

Comment

Working...
                    X