• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expatriation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expatriation

Anyone officially expatriated from the UK? I'm looking for information on how to do it but googling just brings up a bunch of rubbish.
    Bored.

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    Anyone officially expatriated from the UK? I'm looking for information on how to do it but googling just brings up a bunch of rubbish.
    If by that you mean having HMRC regard you as "Not Ordinarily Resident" in the UK, basically you write to them and tell them on a Form P85 what you are doing, and they write back and tell you that means you are Not Ordinarily Resident.

Try their FAQ: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/faqs_general.htm

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      Thanks - that's just what I was looking for.
      Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
        Thanks - that's just what I was looking for.
        Also, make sure you keep hold of their response acknowledging you as no longer ord resident.

Send a copy of this along with your last due tax return and also once before the next tax return would have been due.

Sounds like overkill, but they don't communicate that well internally and you can easily start racking up escalating penalty fines for not filing a return. You tend to find out when the person you lives in your old house gets in touch to whinge about HMRCs hired goons appearing at the door.

BTW - avoid the non-domiciled route as it is a pain if you ever want to move back. I had an accountant in the mid 90s who thought that would be a good stunt but I had all sorts of problems when I moved back in 98.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantor View Post
          Also, make sure you keep hold of their response acknowledging you as no longer ord resident.

Send a copy of this along with your last due tax return and also once before the next tax return would have been due.

Sounds like overkill, but they don't communicate that well internally and you can easily start racking up escalating penalty fines for not filing a return. You tend to find out when the person you lives in your old house gets in touch to whinge about HMRCs hired goons appearing at the door.

BTW - avoid the non-domiciled route as it is a pain if you ever want to move back. I had an accountant in the mid 90s who thought that would be a good stunt but I had all sorts of problems when I moved back in 98.

Why would being a non-dom be a pain?

You get everything someone domiciled gets without having to pay tax on anything offshore?

It's like the Holy Grail - Enjoy the fruits of others taxes and not pay any yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantor View Post

Indeed.

You should not lightly change your domicile, mainly because you can not correctly change your domicile unless you are serious. Your domicile is, roughly speaking, where you intend to settle permanently. If there is no such place (i.e. no such intention) then you still have a domicile: most likely the one you were born with.

If you di change your domicile, that is saying in so many words that you intend not to stay in the UK, not to live or die there. If then you return a small number of years later, it might well be asked whether you had really changed your domicile before; it looks like you just changed your residence temporarily, with a view to possibly changing domicile later, possibly not.

Yes, it is their business; because it is a part of general law, not just tax law.

Edit: DP, the point is that the decision to change domicile is supposed to be permanent. If you change back 3 years later, they would have to ask whether you really meant it - because if you didn't, then you didn't have a right to non-dom status. Domicile is not as easy as residence, which can be ascertained easily and changed often.

BTW they are unlikely to accept that you are domiciled somewhere that you are not resident; and unlikely to accept that, unless you are paying taxes there. You can't just leave the UK and be liable nowhere. Unless you are rich.
            Last edited by expat; 21 October 2008, 09:20.

Comment

Your domicile has nothing to do where you live, that's your residence.

London is chock full of non-doms that have lived in London for donkey's years and intend to live there for as long as they see fit (and as long as they are permitted to pay no tax on money held offshore).

You might be resident in the UK but domiciled abroad, pay tax on your UK wealth but not on assets, income and interest held offshore, which is fantastic if your receive your income into an offshore account.

Boomed!

Comment

Indeed.

You should not lightly change your domicile, mainly because you can not correctly change your domicile unless you are serious. Your domicile is, roughly speaking, where you intend to settle permanently. If there is no such place (i.e. no such intention) then you still have a domicile: most likely the one you were born with.

If you di change your domicile, that is saying in so many words that you intend not to stay in the UK, not to live or die there. If then you return a small number of years later, it might well be asked whether you had really changed your domicile before; it looks like you just changed your residence temporarily, with a view to possibly changing domicile later, possibly not.

Yes, it is their business; because it is a part of general law, not just tax law.

Edit: DP, the point is that the decision to change domicile is supposed to be permanent. If you change back 3 years later, they would have to ask whether you really meant it - because if you didn't, then you didn't have a right to non-dom status. Domicile is not as easy as residence, which can be ascertained easily and changed often.

BTW they are unlikely to accept that you are domiciled somewhere that you are not resident; and unlikely to accept that, unless you are paying taxes there. You can't just leave the UK and be liable nowhere. Unless you are rich.
                I was living in Bermuda at the time and my uk accountant thought the non-dom stuff would make me immune to any interference from the IR. I was a mere boy, with no knowledge of such worldy matters and I quite liked the sound of it.

After moving back, I got a call one day from a guy in some department liasing between IR and the Home Office asking me to prove that I was entitled to reside in the UK This took quite some time to sort out and I got a number of full-on tax/vat inspections immediately after. To be avoided

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Your domicile has nothing to do where you live, that's your residence.

London is chock full of non-doms that have lived in London for donkey's years and intend to live there for as long as they see fit (and as long as they are permitted to pay no tax on money held offshore).

You might be resident in the UK but domiciled abroad, pay tax on your UK wealth but not on assets, income and interest held offshore, which is fantastic if your receive your income into an offshore account.

Boomed!
                  I know that domicile and residence are 2 entirely different concepts, and are not in principle related. But my point was that if you are born in, say England of British parents, then you have a domicile of "England or Wales" until you acquire a new domicile. While it is theoretically possible for such a person to become domiciled abroad while remaining resident in the UK, it is unlikely to be easy to persuade HMRC of this. Mere declaration that you intend to escape to Cyprus one of these days is unlikely to do it.

Although it is not technically part of it, the Non-Dom status usually spoken of is intended for those who are not British, and this is being examined more closely now, eg a Non-Dom now has to declare on his SA form whether he has ever been domiciled in the UK, and state the date when he came to live in the UK. I very stronlgy suspenc that if you put down Yes, Since Birth, and "Non-Dom since a couple of months ago but still resident", another question or two will be needed before they accept that.

Comment

I know that domicile and residence are 2 entirely different concepts, and are not in principle related. But my point was that if you are born in, say England of British parents, then you have a domicile of "England or Wales" until you acquire a new domicile. While it is theoretically possible for such a person to become domiciled abroad while remaining resident in the UK, it is unlikely to be easy to persuade HMRC of this. Mere declaration that you intend to escape to Cyprus one of these days is unlikely to do it.

Although it is not technically part of it, the Non-Dom status usually spoken of is intended for those who are not British, and this is being examined more closely now, eg a Non-Dom now has to declare on his SA form whether he has ever been domiciled in the UK, and state the date when he came to live in the UK. I very stronlgy suspenc that if you put down Yes, Since Birth, and "Non-Dom since a couple of months ago but still resident", another question or two will be needed before they accept that.
                    I agree that if you born here (and your father was born here) the chances of getting a Non Dom status without hassle is remote.

But if you (or your father) were born outside the UK, you should be okay. And you can live and work here (especially if of European descent e.g French) no problem and use all the public services for free and have you income paid overseas.

Boomed!

Comment

Working...
                    X