• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This'll be a mess: Minimum buy to fight fuel panic

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This'll be a mess: Minimum buy to fight fuel panic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4236676.stm

Motorists may have to make a "minimum purchase" at petrol pumps to prevent panic-buying in the event of refinery blockades, fuel retailers have warned.

Milan.

Originally posted by milanbenes
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4236676.stm

Motorists may have to make a "minimum purchase" at petrol pumps to prevent panic-buying in the event of refinery blockades, fuel retailers have warned.

Milan.
    I don't get it, How does this work then?

And assuming that the limit is more than 5 litres (which IMHO would be pointless) what does a moped rider do with the rest?

tim

Comment

Tim,

I conclude when these spin doctors use their new term "minimum purchase" they actually mean QUOTA

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
        Tim,

I conclude when these spin doctors use their new term "minimum purchase" they actually mean QUOTA

Milan.
        Surely it is meant to deter people from topping off their tank after every journey...
        Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
        You know you'll need us!

Comment

Originally posted by The Late, Great JC
          Surely it is meant to deter people from topping off their tank after every journey...
          I still don't see how it makes a limited supply last longer.

I can see that it makes the queues shorter, but I doubt that this is something that would bother even the most nanniest state.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by The Late, Great JC
            Maybe now is a good time to consider buying shares in jerry can manufacturing companies.

Left-wing MPs and tree-huggers must be longing for petrol shortages to start - People like that get a stiffie at the prospect of rationing, and state micromanagement. For them it's just like the good old days of the early post-war austerity years.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

FFS just ban all personal transport. Done and dusted.

We can all then use the freely available public transport systems and not have to worry about traffic jams, emissions etc.

After all no one actually needs a car, we're all just too lazy to hop on the bus that will whizz us to any destination we might desire for a few pence.

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
                I still don't see how it makes a limited supply last longer.

I can see that it makes the queues shorter, but I doubt that this is something that would bother even the most nanniest state.

tim
                By and large you're correct; but I suppose it does reduce the average fullness of vehicle tanks, and thereby stretches out a finite supply, which is a worthwhile aim if the shortage is only temporary.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

OwlHoot: But I thought most people only put in a £10 or £20 worth. Not many, apart from long distance commuters actually fill their tank. So these people will actually end up buying more petrol if they have to buy a minimum of £25 ...
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I have to return my courtesy car to Audi with "just over 1/4 tank".
                    Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                    X