• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stocks & Shares ISAs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stocks & Shares ISAs

Anyone still invest in these? There was one guy on here who invested all his spare cash in one every year - do you still do this?

As they are a long term investment are they still worthwhile?

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
    Anyone still invest in these? There was one guy on here who invested all his spare cash in one every year - do you still do this?

It depends which stocks and shares you buy and when you buy them

Comment

Well if you buy now and choose wisely, you are buying a long way from the peak, so things are good at the moment.

Comment

I do (once I've hit the cash limit) - you can't necessarily invest all your spare cash - there are limits of course.

Although mine have plummeted the extra incentive is there for me to leave funds in long term in they'll come back. Currently trying to set up a self selection shares ISA. Selftrade were impossible to deal with so I'm using my bank's share dealing service and putting it in their shares ISA.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Well if you buy now and choose wisely, you are buying a long way from the peak, so things are good at the moment.
          Kind of what I was thinking.

Peoplesoft, I realise that there is a limit but it would easily take all my spare cash to fill it (i.e. I'm not the Prawn...)

Comment

The investment is in shares; the ISA is a tax-free wrapper.

The ISA is worthwhile if you are going to invest in shares.

Comment

Peoplesoft, I realise that there is a limit but it would easily take all my spare cash to fill it (i.e. I'm not the Prawn...)
              Indeed, hence my use of "necessarily". The other good thing is that there's no capital gains tax on the value of shares in a shares ISA.

Comment

I do and it's all Self Select. You can still invest in Funds using the Self Select option so it doesn't just rely on your ability to pick shares.

There has been money to be made over the past 6 months trading on ranges and with wide price swings. I'm a bit up but it's mainly been a defensive strategy to make sure I didn't lose.

Make sure you can afford your mortgage, have a financial cushion and have a pension sorted out before going down this route (and decent IFA will tell you this).

Otherwise my advice would be to take a couple of grand and get punting in CFD market.
                Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Have a look at www.h-l.co.uk or similar. You don't have to buy your shares as you put the cash in there, it can be held as cash until you think it is a good time to buy. H&L often offer a bonus interest rate to attract your cash near the end of the tax year. As mentioned now is possibly a good time as shares have taken a bit of a battering. I just invested my last 3 years worth of ISA allowance into shares, time will tell if it was a good move !?

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                    ...... I just invested my last 3 years worth of ISA allowance into shares, time will tell if it was a good move !?
                    Eh? Do you mean just? I thought you lost it if you weren't in by the end of the tax year.

Comment

Working...
                    X