• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oracle view

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oracle view

i have a link to an oracle view. I want to query it and link it to some indexed tables, I am using decode quite a bit.

the view returns 3 million rows, my result is 2.5 k rows.

the problem is that my 2.5k rows takes 40 minutes to produce. The oracle dba will not supply the view sql, he will not let me build any temp tables or functions.

is there any other way I can speed this up ?

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    i have a link to an oracle view. I want to query it and link it to some indexed tables, I am using decode quite a bit.

the problem is that my 2.5k rows takes 40 minutes to produce. The oracle dba will not supply the view sql, he will not let me build any temp tables or functions.

Yes, put it into a decent modern database like SQL Server 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Yes, put it into a decent modern database like SQL Server 2008.
      Duck everybody - incoming!
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

how long does a select on the view without linking to other tables take to run?
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

The DBA is either part of the solution, or part of the problem.

First, ask him how you can speed it up. Then at least you'll know which he is.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            how long does a select on the view without linking to other tables take to run?
            10 mins (ish)
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post

First, ask him how you can speed it up. Then at least you'll know which he is.
              we cant afford to pay him to be part of the solution
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post

First, ask him how you can speed it up. then you'll know which he is.
                DBAs and specifically Oracle DBAs are always part of the problem. They seem to think that their job means stopping people from doing anything useful, rather than the reverse.
                Typically the sort of person who WANTS to be a DBA should be the last person chosen for that role
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

10 mins (ish)
                  ok - so its not the view holding thigs up

can you query the user_views table?
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    DBAs and specifically Oracle DBAs are always part of the problem. They seem to think that their job means stopping people from doing anything useful, rather than the reverse.
                    Typically the sort of person who WANTS to be a DBA should be the last person chosen for that role
                    Sadly often true. I'm an Oracle DBA and (cue Land of Hope and Glory on the gramophone) give the developers/whoever as much info. as I can (sensibly, of course) about queries, schemas, etc. Why the frig would I want to do the leg work? Your DBA is a tw@t.

Comment

Working...
                    X