• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[poll] Working direct with clients

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[poll] Working direct with clients

I've signed up with agencies but I'm not that enthusiastic, I've enjoyed finding and working with clients directly for the last year.

For all the bitching about agents, do you guys prefer to work through an agency or is it a necessary evil?

Give me 20s for the poll...
    I refuse to work through an agent
    0.00%
    I'd rather work directly but it's too hard to find work
    52.94%
    I'm too lazy to sort out paperwork and find contracts
    17.65%
    I prefer to go through agents, they get me better rates
    5.88%
    AndyW is my agent
    23.53%
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I started out working directly with SME clients. After a year, I realised that working for large corporates through agencies was twice the money and half the hassle.

Comment

And also, how DO you find companies directly? When I worked in the games industry it was easy - there are sites which list every game development studio in the country, but all kinds of non-software companies need software developed.

Comment

Another crap poll.

None of the above.

I prefer to work direct and find work that way easier than dealing with agents.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Another crap poll.

None of the above.

We need a way to have a pre-poll, where people can suggest options, before the original poster runs the poll.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Another crap poll.

None of the above.

I am unemployed and live on Tesco Value burgers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
              I am unemployed and live on Tesco Value burgers.
              Not for long.
              The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

how do agents get you better rates than if you went direct?

typical scenario:
                the EB has a budget (say £1000 a day max) for a contractor

scenario 1: going via agency, agent fairly accurately guesses EB's budget and puts you in for £900 (agent takes 15% cut), agent offers you £765 a day

scenario 2: agent knows there is competition in the market and so bids lower (£850 a day) to guarantee he gets the job then takes 15% and rounds it up a bit, offers you £725, you try for more but agent wont budge

scenario 3: you find the EB yourself, you know the market and you know what rate is average and so you take a good rate and add a bit, you bid £800

-from your point of view you've got the best rate by going direct
                -from the EB point of view they've got the cheapest bid by you going direct, win win all round (except the agent of course)
                The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                  how do agents get you better rates than if you went direct?
                  They have access to the better paying roles?
                  The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

I prefer to work direct but it's getting harder as companies try to avoid employment rights claims.
                    Last contract I sourced direct from my contacts but still had to hand it to any agency
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X