• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boiler

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boiler

My boiler has finally packed in after (I'm guessing) about 20-30 years of life.

Anyone got any suggested approaches to replacing it, I've got BG coming round to give a (hideously inflated) quote?

Is this going to cost me several of my limbs to replace or is there a cheap option? (Surely you BTLers have some tricks?)
    B00med!

Originally posted by Advocate View Post

Anyone got any suggested approaches
    Divorce??
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I think next time I look at central heating I'll take another look at heat pumps. They work out more expensive than gas boilers at present, but are less reliant on imported gas and are getting cheaper. Probably simpler for DIY fix attempts too. They also improve with efficiency as time goes on, and some can act as air conditioners when operating in reverse.

Cheaper still, buy a big fridge and suck heat out of the water supply.

Comment

I had a quote from BG for a very reasonable £5,000

They did say it would take the whole afternoon to fit too.

Comment

Originally posted by Advocate View Post

Anyone got any suggested approaches to replacing it, I've got BG coming round to give a (hideously inflated) quote?

Is this going to cost me several of my limbs to replace or is there a cheap option? (Surely you BTLers have some tricks?)
          Ring approved plumbers and start a bidding war.

Comment

20 to 30 years? jeez - sell it to the v&a!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
              Ring approved plumbers and start a bidding war.

Heating Engineers. IPHE approved members.

Comment

Dont use or go to BG thats for fools who want to be a-s-s- r-a-p-e-d

You can get a good boiler [potterton, valiant etc] installed within £2300 using your local certified engineer - and in the current climate you will get a good price. Leave it another month and prices will SOAR as demand grows in winter for these obviously

Comment

Pop down to your local plumb centre or equivalent and buy one yourself. Try telling them you are just starting a new business and ask if they do a trade rate.
                  The plumbing is quite easy, but you have to let a proper bloke do the gas.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by Liability View Post
                    You can get a good boiler [potterton, valiant etc] installed within £2300 using your local certified engineer
                    You can get yourself a cheapo boiler installed by one of your non certified mates for about £800

Comment

Working...
                    X