• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stupid tax code system

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid tax code system

Received a new tax code (as a result of filing tax return of course). This has gone up from 603L to loads more.

So I ring up the tax office, requesting they just give me 603L. They won't change it. Only if I say my expense will be nill (and then when the're not they complain).

They refuse to let me overpay tax, and claim back the difference. The only possible outcome is that I underpay (because my expenses have gone down) and get a bill (or a different adjustment on the next years tax code).

What a totally bizarre system.

Get your accountant to do it. You may have more luck that way...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
      Received a new tax code (as a result of filing tax return of course). This has gone up from 603L to loads more.

So I ring up the tax office, requesting they just give me 603L. They won't change it. Only if I say my expense will be nill (and then when the're not they complain).

They refuse to let me overpay tax, and claim back the difference. The only possible outcome is that I underpay (because my expenses have gone down) and get a bill (or a different adjustment on the next years tax code).

What a totally bizarre system.
      Try again, they adjusted mine with no complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
        Try again, they adjusted mine with no complaints.
        Mrs ASBs just got back. I mentioned this to her, because she was in the same boat. She said they changed hers no problem. I'll try 'em again. Though I suspect I might have the awkward git tag on my UTR record now.

Comment

I've always found that if the bod at the tax office doesn't give you a sensible answer you should hang up and call back. The next person is usually more helpful.

Comment

I find the line:

"Please send me a copy of your complaints procedures"

results in a satisfying outcome.

Comment

Is it just me or are the tax folks completely brain-dead?
              I am simply trying to pay a corporation tax bill for a wound-up company and it is like pulling teeth.
              Today I called, again, to try and resolve the issue and apparently everyone is in a meeting. Last week they just hung-up the call. The time I did get through they seemed to have no idea and advised I wait until I get a penalty reminder. FFS.
              Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
                Is it just me or are the tax folks completely brain-dead?
                I am simply trying to pay a corporation tax bill for a wound-up company and it is like pulling teeth.
                Today I called, again, to try and resolve the issue and apparently everyone is in a meeting. Last week they just hung-up the call. The time I did get through they seemed to have no idea and advised I wait until I get a penalty reminder. FFS.
                Are you sure it's not you? It's really simple, they even tell you how to pay on the back of the slip...
                Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

The Tax Code thing, I find, is amusing.

Around this time of year I get a load of these notifications sent through. Up to 703L, down to 454L, up to 601L, down to....

I dutifully send all these through to the accountants and let them sort it out. I am sure they find it just as interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                    The Tax Code thing, I find, is amusing.

Around this time of year I get a load of these notifications sent through. Up to 703L, down to 454L, up to 601L, down to....

I dutifully send all these through to the accountants and let them sort it out. I am sure they find it just as interesting.
                    I have had similar issues, but just let the Accountant deal with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X