• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax freedom day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax freedom day

I was just looking at tax freedom day as given at http://www.adamsmith.org/a-history-of-tax-freedom-day/ and so in a moment of madness decided I'd chart the figures in ASCII and write the app to do so in Javascript in Linux and without a Javascript interpreter/editor. Result below. It seems that tax freedom day is mostly later under the Tories (the day in the year is shown on the left, 1 = 1 Jan, 171 = 20 June etc) using their figures. 'Course the tax you pay depends on what you earn and what you spend, and I might also have goofed. But there we are.

Code:
    171                   *                          
    169                  **                          
    167                  **                          
    165                  ****                        
    162                 ******                       
    160                 ******                       
    158                 *******                      
    156                 *********                    
    154                 ************       ***    ***
    152       *    *    ************       ***    ***
    149      **    *** **************      ***   ****
    147      **   *******************     ****   ****
    145      ***  *******************  ******** *****
    143     ****  ***********************************
    141     ****  ***********************************
    139     ****  ***********************************
    136    ****** ***********************************
    134    ****** ***********************************
    132    ****** ***********************************
    130    ******************************************
    128    ******************************************
    126    ******************************************
    123   *******************************************
    121   *******************************************
    119   *******************************************
    117  ********************************************
    115  ********************************************
    113  ********************************************
    111  ********************************************
         LLLLLCCCCLLLLLCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCLLLLLLLLLLLL
                           1965 - 2008

Nicely done.
    What that does not show is global problems etc.

If you study it you will see that the Tories were consistently reducing it. It was very late (and taxes were very high) under Thatcher but Tory Governments have always had to spend a few years putting right what the previous Labour Govt. had cocked up. Labour always increases the date (that chart shows it nicely). It also shows how NL made tax reductions to buy an election only to put them back up again later.
    This time will be no different. After NL are ejected the next Govt. will have a major task to get the economy in order.

BTW: Could you not colour the stars to match who was in power to make it even better?
    Last edited by The Lone Gunman; 22 October 2008, 06:07.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
      Nicely done.
      What that does not show is global problems etc.

If you study it you will see that the Tories were consistently reducing it. It was very late (and taxes were very high) under Thatcher but Tory Governments have always had to spend a few years putting right what the previous Labour Govt. had cocked up.
      The pattern is now clear. Things are always worse under Tory governments and better under Labour, but that is only because the Tories are busy fixing problems created by Labour, whereas Labour are spending money the Tories earned.

Whew! I'm glad that's clear!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        The pattern is now clear. Things are always worse under Tory governments and better under Labour, but that is only because the Tories are busy fixing problems created by Labour, whereas Labour are spending money the Tories earned.
        Was that really Expat who said that! Has he suddenly seen the light? Damn, he was only joking.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Sorry, how many years were the Tories in power last time? So by that logic, should the Tories get in next year we can expect a recession until 2020?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            ... It seems that tax freedom day is mostly later under the Tories (the day in the year is shown on the left,...
            I'm not sure how you get to that conclusion.

In 1965 under Labour it was day 117. This increased to 149. Then the Tories took power, and it peaked at 152, decreasing to 130 until Labour came to power, where it went up to the previous Labour levels. Then Thatcher took power, and it shot up to 171 - but from then it dropped consistently until John Major took over, then there was a rise again. Labour took over, and it shifted up to 154, dipping down for 2002, and then back up to 154.

The anomaly is that peak under Thatcher. Do you remember what the early 80s was like?
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

nice one TimberWolfe, you should send that to the Tories for publishing to the unwashed masses

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                I'm not sure how you get to that conclusion.

In 1965 under Labour it was day 117. This increased to 149. Then the Tories took power, and it peaked at 152, decreasing to 130 until Labour came to power, where it went up to the previous Labour levels. Then Thatcher took power, and it shot up to 171 - but from then it dropped consistently until John Major took over, then there was a rise again. Labour took over, and it shifted up to 154, dipping down for 2002, and then back up to 154.

The anomaly is that peak under Thatcher. Do you remember what the early 80s was like?

This confirms that under a Conservative government, they do actually improve the tax situation over their reign. For Labour it shows the opposite, which is really no surprise to anybody, is it ? Cue Expat and Peoplesoft Bloke....

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                  This confirms that under a Conservative government, they do actually improve the tax situation over their reign. For Labour it shows the opposite, which is really no surprise to anybody, is it ? Cue Expat and Peoplesoft Bloke....
                  Right on cue, allow me to disperse some of the BS which so permeates the output of some posters here.

Thatcher had to start with a big tax bite, until her other money-making schemes got under way:
                  1. sell off the family silver.
                  2. wait for the oil revenues to roll in (1980s not 1970s: Labour invested in oil extraction but didn't see the benefits).

Lucky for her she had a good war to keep her in power, without it she would have been out after 1 term for what she was already doing to the country.

Yes, I remember what the early 1980s were like.

Comment

I've just worked out my tax freedom day. It's day 12
                    Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Working...
                    X