• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Analogies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Analogies

Sometimes things get so complex that a good old analogy is required. I want to understand sub prime, derivatives, credit swap insurance, banks folding and iceland all in one little analogy.

then its off to wetherspoons for a dodgy pint

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Imagine you had a magic box, where you push a tenner in one end and a fifty comes out the other. No one understands how it works, it just does.

Well all the bankers have been busy stuffing money through the magic boxes and lending it to anyone with a pulse. And the interest paid back has been stuffed through the box and lent out again, over and over.

Suddenly, someone says "what if the money coming out wasn't real, we just thought it was fifty pound note?".

And just like that, all the fifties that have been pouring out of the magic box turned out to be fivers.

That how I like to think it all worked.

Comment

I prefer to use the simile

As bust as a Banker
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Have you learned nothing from the insightful and relevant commentary AtW has been graciously bestowing on us for the last several months?
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Basically you give me £5 I promise to give you £7 in one year, I then give the £7 to someone else who then promises to give me £9, and so on. We all book bonuses and cash them in. In a year's time someone who's trying to get £1000000000000 from £9999999998 defaults.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            Basically you give me £5 I promise to give you £7 in one year, I then give the £7 to someone else who then promises to give me £9, and so on. We all book bonuses and cash them in. In a year's time someone who's trying to get £1000000000000 from £9999999998 defaults.
            You just described a pyramid scheme!
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I prefer the analogy...

"Bankers are all bullsh!tting barrow boys who have now been found out!"

The emperor wasn't wearing any clothes!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post

The emperor wasn't wearing any clothes!
                That's Metaphor (I think)

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                  That's Metaphor (I think)
                  The analogy was the line of text in quotes.

Aye Thenk Yew!

Comment

The credit crisis as Antarctic expedition:

http://lifehacker.com/5066440/credit...tic-expedition

I got bored though and didn't watch to the end.

If any of you make it that far, could you let me know if it has a happy ending?

Comment

Working...
                    X