• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

US Foreclosures 2nd wave

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Foreclosures 2nd wave

Second wave of foreclosures coming

this could get expensive for the US tax payer.

OK now as an exercise complete the following sentence:

The UK won't have a mortgage crisis like the US because.....
    I'm alright Jack

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Our economy is different.

Yes, it's worse, with much less of manufacturing base than the US. We do have a lot more social housing that the US, however.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

...in the US you can hand your house keys to the bank, even if your house is worth less than the mortgage that's secured on it, and walk away owing nothing.

In the UK you'll be pursued until you sell a kidney.
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
        Our economy is different.

Yes, it's worse, with much less of manufacturing base than the US. We do have a lot more social housing that the US, however.
        That's a goodpoint in a recession. A council house can't go into negative equity. No, you laugh, but it's true in a deeper sense.

Anyway, look atsome examples: the woman who owes 207k on a house worth 150k, worreid about losing her 65k savings that she put in as deposit. So she paid at least 277k for a 150k house? I don't see that happening here so much, for private house-buyers (BTL yes, executive riverside apartments rubbish, yes). But it's not surprising if you know those places: recent development, houses and malls and nothing else. Nothing under it but 8 feet to sea level in a hurricane zone, and nobody who belongs to the area, because it was a wasteland just a few years ago. It can become a wasteland again just as quickly because nobody really wants to live there, they just moved because the arithmetic looked right. Now it looks wrong, and nobody wants to buy your house.

Edit: I almost mentioned DiscoStu's point too. Same point: our housing is less disposable. It has more intrinsic value.
        Last edited by expat; 22 October 2008, 12:07.

Comment

Prescient article from here:

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article2728.html

The UK's property boom has to large part been fed by an army of buy to let investors (many of whom are amateur landlords). This is illustrated by the estimate of 1,000,000 buy to let mortgages, up from barely 20,000 ten years ago. However for some time new buy to let investors have been increasingly banking on capital gains rather then rental incomes covering the costs, which given the most recent HBOS statistics of 2 months of consecutive price drops for Sept and Oct 07, increasingly looks less likely going forward and hence primes the buy to let market to lead the stampede for the exit, resulting in a sharp drop in UK house prices.

2006 BTL value total 34.8 bill. quid.
          Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
            ...in the US you can hand your house keys to the bank, even if your house is worth less than the mortgage that's secured on it, and walk away owing nothing.

In the UK you'll be pursued until you sell a kidney.
            >>in the US you can hand your house keys

is that true? I have asked a couple of americans who said it isn't and the bank will come after you in the same way as the rest of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishface View Post

is that true? I have asked a couple of americans who said it isn't and the bank will come after you in the same way as the rest of the world.
              probably varies state to state
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Fishface View Post

Looking here it would appear that you can, but it'll totally knacker your credit rating.
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I think that's why they live in cars. In other words no-one will sign a rental agreement with them. But look on the bright side, hey won't this be good for the car industry.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

I think that's why they live in cars. In other words no-one will sign a rental agreement with them. But look on the bright side, hey won't this be good for the car industry.
                    i don't think they can afford rent or the deposit (or both)
                    in terms of walking away from the house and not paying another penny/cent to the bank. There are only a small number of states in which you are legally protected.
                    In other states its either illegal or the bank can come after you if you have sizable other assets, e.g. a second home or a valuable car.
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X