• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Compost heaps have to be registered every 3 years

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compost heaps have to be registered every 3 years

Schools and charities could soon be charged for having a compost heap, under controversial proposals slipped out by ministers today.

The new rules will force small organisations to pay £50 to register their composts with the Environment Agency.

At the moment, it is free to register a compost heap.

But the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs today put out new rules which would require businesses, schools and charities to register them every three years

It is not clear whether allotments will be charged

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...charities.html

Just why exactly do you need to 'register' a compost heap?!!
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Yet another crazy tax. When will they stop this and start cutting their own waste !!

Comment

Will the Government register themselves, New Labour, under this scheme as a great steaming pile of manure?

It will cost them £50 which they don't have.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

If I take a dump on the village green does that count?

Comment

Surely they should be paying us to compost? Collection and disposal of compostable waste is a waste of time and money.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
              Just why exactly do you need to 'register' a compost heap?!!
              It's an ID scheme for compost heaps. Some could be terrorists. What do you do if the compost heap changes size or is moved slightly though? Do you need to re-register

Comment

"A Defra spokesman insisted the new rules were not yet finalised.

She added that under EU laws, organisations must have permits to carry out waste disposal. But smaller bodies can 'exempt' themselves from this by registering a compost heap."

I think I must be in a coma and having incredibly bizarre hallucinations. Hope the orderlies aren't violating my botty.

Comment

If you dig a hole in the ground for your compost then surely it isn’t a compost heap any more; it’s a flat piece of ground. The soil you’ve removed is a soil heap, which doesn’t have to be registered.This is, by the way, probably the very best way to produce top quality garden compost.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

How long before we have to register each turd we produce?

Comment

Working...
                    X