• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Council Ends Speed Camera Funding

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Council Ends Speed Camera Funding

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7685550.stm

Might I suggest they put the savings into putting more coppers on the beat and the roads.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...hs-treble.html

Zebra crossing road deaths treble

Speed cameras are a good idea - but they need to be average speed ones in urban areas. And the funding needs to be proportionate. Big difference between doing 40 in a 30 zone and 100 in a 70 zone.

These days the roads seem to be a free-for-all. And the worst offenders are mothers in big cars with one small child in - that "fact" based on a sample of my gf walking the kids to school everey day.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      These days the roads seem to be a free-for-all. And the worst offenders are mothers in big cars with one small child in - that "fact" based on a sample of my gf walking the kids to school everey day.
      The worst offenders just seem to be everybody in general. Years ago it wasn't uncommon to be pulled for any minor offence, tail light off, etc. Now you can do a wheelie in front of a parked cop car and they won't put down their doughnuts.
      Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
        The worst offenders just seem to be everybody in general. Years ago it wasn't uncommon to be pulled for any minor offence, tail light off, etc. Now you can do a wheelie in front of a parked cop car and they won't put down their doughnuts.
        This is true. Those in light relief are great drivers.....

Comment

This is true. Those in light relief are great drivers.....
          Class
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Your gf walks the kids to school? Is that allowed? Expect a visit from social services asking why you don't have an urban assault vehicle, if you expect to do parenting.

Comment

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...hs-treble.html

Zebra crossing road deaths treble

Speed cameras are a good idea - but they need to be average speed ones in urban areas. And the funding needs to be proportionate. Big difference between doing 40 in a 30 zone and 100 in a 70 zone.

Speed cameras are not a good idea at all. Road deaths are caused by bad or distracted drivers.
              The UK has more speed cameras than any other EU (possibly global) nation yet according to that newspaper is 3rd when it comes to urban road deaths. Surely if speed cameras worked we should be last.

The standard of driving in the UK has become very poor because the only thing you can get done for is tripping a speed camera. It is very rare to see traffic cops (unless you use a biker popular road) which means people drive with little regard to the rules or other road users.

"The Department for Transport annual results - published on the 25th of September - show that, nationally, only 6% of accidents are caused by people breaking speed limits and yet almost 100% of the government's road safety money is being invested in speed cameras,"

Speed is not the issue, it is the standard of driving.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Good on Swindon.

I have to say, as someone who was busted by plods for speeding (2AM in the morning on the M6. Me + 3 lorries on video!)... that while they can spot bad driving in ways that the cameras cant unfortunately we have a police force filled with jobsworths. And not very bright ones at that.

I mean, who was I hurting?? And how did I manage to make my Ford Focus go 6 miles an hour faster than Ford can? Idiots.

Comment

Well done Swindon!

On the 'urban assault vehicle' front. A few weeks ago the wife was taking our son to school in her nice big 4WD and some idiot rammed into the back of her in a VW Polo. Result? One completely trashed Polo and a new bumper for her car. You see, completely vindicated. You can't be too careful when it comes to kids and safety.
                  Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    Your gf walks the kids to school? Is that allowed? Expect a visit from social services asking why you don't have an urban assault vehicle, if you expect to do parenting.

Does this explain why we are one of the few who do - despite living one of the furthest from the school?

Comment

Working...
                    X