• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Eastern Europeans coming back to Britain?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eastern Europeans coming back to Britain?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...-Hungary..html

Crisis mounts in East Europe after shock 3pc rate rise by Hungary.
    Hungary has raised interest rates by three percentage points to 11.5pc in a drastic move to stop the collapse of its currency peg against the euro, raising fears of a crunch across Eastern Europe as a string of states are forced to follow suit to stem capital flight.
    Eastern europe going bust.

Will it mean a vast new supply of cheap labour to exploit?

We're saved!

That might explain yesterdays propaganda about Poles going home.

Comment

Not all countries in Eastern Europe experience the same problems as Hungary...

Another thing not taken into account, there is a "natural" psychological barrier after 4-5 years for a temporary migrant...After this period it's either "I've made some dosh, but there is only one life, I might go home next year, plus I make less zloty than a year ago" or "What a nice country, I need to plan for long term, start a family & send less money back home".

Poles and all others are now somewhere at the end of those 4-5 years that started back in 2004...
      The rest is silence...

Comment

Wasn't the Austro-Hungarian Empire at its zenith only 100 years ago? Still at least it's not like Britain's long protracted death; similar to a car crash in slow motion.

Comment

Originally posted by Viktor View Post
          Not all countries in Eastern Europe experience the same problems as Hungary...

Another thing not taken into account, there is a "natural" psychological barrier after 4-5 years for a temporary migrant...After this period it's either "I've made some dosh, but there is only one life, I might go home next year, plus I make less zloty than a year ago" or "What a nice country, I need to plan for long term, start a family & send less money back home".

Poles and all others are now somewhere at the end of those 4-5 years that started back in 2004...
          Whereas Romanians are in the middle of the cycle. Viktor with the Poles returning Do you suppose that Romanians will soon be allowed free access to the Uk and the UK's labour market without having to get a work permit or be self employed?
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

No. Romanians and Bulgarians are a political scapegoat of a failed immigration system. Politics are above everything and the last thing Gordo wants to do now is to give more ammo to the likes of "The Sun", you know the headlines ... "Gordon Brown gives british jobs to foreigners while our unemployment skyrockets...etc.etc."

So restrictions will continue to apply for the new joiners, which is basically non-sense because:

1. Ro & Bg nationals can travel free anyway & can't be deported - so more black market labour but who cares...
            2. Ro & Bg nationals are not a "new wave of immigration" and this can easily be seen by looking on the immigration web-site which has statistics
            The rest is silence...

Comment

As economists often point out, it's not a zero sum game. Poorer EU states get richer and richer states can get richer too. Everyone gets richer. It's a kind of magic. Boomed.

Comment

Most other states were clever in protecting jobs for their own population by agreeing to a 7 year moratorium on immigration from new member countries such as Poland, Rumania, Bulgaria etc.

Our government said that we would allow them to come because only 13,000 Poles would come here to work. Millions then turned up, and now many of these are forcing Brits onto the dole. Well done Labour !!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                  Most other states were clever in protecting jobs for their own population by agreeing to a 7 year moratorium on immigration from new member countries such as Poland, Rumania, Bulgaria etc.

Our government said that we would allow them to come because only 13,000 Poles would come here to work. Millions then turned up, and now many of these are forcing Brits onto the dole. Well done Labour !!
                  "Most other states" need their cosy cartel run labour markets shaken up by a bit of old fashioned competition. Your "most other states" are countries like France and Germany with huge numbers of unemployed. The jobs are divvied out to friends and family and woe betide any effort to get the great unwashed into work or allow immigrants in to compete for the jobs.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                  X