• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Savings and Currency question from financial newbie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Savings and Currency question from financial newbie

Despite contracting in banks I admit I know nothing about personal finance.

I've been looking at a number of fixed term deposit bank accounts. I've noticed at some banks that they pay *radically* different interest rates depending on the currency involved.

E.g. for a 12 month deposit:
    10,000 sterling = 5.25%
    25,000 USD = 2.4%
    25,000 EUR = 2.43%
    100000 SA Rand = 10.4%

What's the catch ? Maybe this is a dumb question but wouldn't all the US Dollar customers convert their savings to Rand and benefit from a much better return ?? I've also seen the NZ $ pays highly.

All I could speculate is that the banks believe the NZ$ and Rand etc are going to fall over the following 12 months and that a deposit + 10% isn't really going to deliver a genuine 10% gain as the currency will have less value ?

Alter.e

Working...
X