• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spelling mistakes, bad grammar in the press....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spelling mistakes, bad grammar in the press....

I read the Telegraph because the standard of grammar in other rags has been somewhat atrocious of late (due to overreliance on Word spellchecker no doubt). However, this surpasses all that has gone before, I mean a headline FFS!

"Stock market plunges as of recession evidence mounts"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk

terrible? what they were thinking of!

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
      I read the Telegraph because the standard of grammar in other rags has been somewhat atrocious of late (due to overreliance on Word spellchecker no doubt). However, this surpasses all that has gone before, I mean a headline FFS!

"Stock market plunges as of recession evidence mounts"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk

Perhaps "as of" is the new "off of"
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I see schoolboy howlers on a regular basis, I think some of it is to do with attitudes - I usually get snarled at if I (however gently) point something out. I have a colleague who reverses i.e and e.g. but moans if I point it out when asked (by her) to review stuff she's written.

Surely people wouldn't be so nasty if we pointed out what was causing their SQL to fail, so why is always "get a life" if we point out what is causing their English to fail.

Before anyone starts:

1) I am not immune from errors, but I'm happy to have them pointed out.
        2) You have dyslexia - I know, my brother-in-law has it.

Comment

I think they have missed a whole word out there. FEAR.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Perhaps they’re just as poorly educated as the dubious primates running the banks.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I thought the papers employed proof readers? Anyway mistakes like this are common and don't mean you aren't educated, I know I make them a lot and that they are hard to spot just after you've written something, or are thinking about something deeper. And I'm not dyslectic as far as I know. You'd have to have some kind of autism to spot all the silly errors made all the time or less significant things happening in daily life.

For instance people often miss the double word here:
              The
              cat sat
              on the
              the mat

Another one. Count the number of Fs.
              FINISHED FILES ARE THE RESULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIFIC STUDY COMBINED WITH THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                I thought the papers employed proof readers?

I think they fired them all ages ago to pay for dividends and management bonuses - according to an embittered former Journo pal of mine.

Comment

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Teh smae alppeis to gmraamr no duobt.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    I thought the papers employed proof readers? Anyway mistakes like this are common and don't mean you aren't educated, I know I make them a lot and that they are hard to spot just after you've written something, or are thinking about something deeper. And I'm not dyslectic as far as I know. You'd have to have some kind of autism to spot all the silly errors made all the time or less significant things happening in daily life.

For instance people often miss the double word here:
                    The
                    cat sat
                    on the
                    the mat

Another one. Count the number of Fs.
                    FINISHED FILES ARE THE RESULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIFIC STUDY COMBINED WITH THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS.
                    Almost everyone guesses three. Why? It seems that the brain cannot correctly process the word "OF". The letter F usually makes the "f" sound, like in "fox". However, in the word "of", it makes a "v" sound. Somehow, your brain overlooks the word "of" as it scans for the sound of "f

I bet all of us who are dyslexic would have got this right as this is the sort of thing you check for. Me it is words like from and form I sometimes get wrong and spell check does not pick this up.
                    Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Working...
                    X