• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A big rate cut at last !!?? I hope........

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A big rate cut at last !!?? I hope........

After a year of me saying that we needed big rate cuts to AVOID recession after the moneymarkets dried up, we have delayed and delayed. Now that we are actually in a recession it looks like we will get those big cuts very soon.

Yet more evidence of Labour dithering their way to disaster.

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    After a year of me saying that we needed big rate cuts to AVOID recession after the moneymarkets dried up, we have delayed and delayed. Now that we are actually in a recession it looks like we will get those big cuts very soon.

Hope we get a massive rate cut, I'm on a full-term tracker mortgage
    Cats are evil.

Comment

with this thread titel I thought you were going to discuss contractor day rates
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
        Me too.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post

Me too !! Some banks are not reducing rates below a certain level regardless of how low the rates go...read your mortgage contract. First Direct, my bank, have said that they will follow the rates down, but most other banks will not go below 3.5%.

Comment

Me too !! Some banks are not reducing rates below a certain level regardless of how low the rates go...read your mortgage contract. First Direct, my bank, have said that they will follow the rates down, but most other banks will not go below 3.5%.
            Also check if the contract states the BOE base rate or the <bankname> baserate... AFAIK there's no obligation for the two to be in synch.

Comment

Some info on 'COLLARS'(the technical term):

Once base rate falls to 2.75%, Nationwide will not pass on reduction to tracker customers.

Halifax can increase its margin once base rate hits 3%, but must write to customers.

Yorkshire and Skipton B/S stop passing on rate at 3% base rate

HSBC reserves the right to stop cutting trackers

Barclays, Loyds and First Direct have NO collar !!

Abbey has a collar of 3% on older mortgages

Comment

Yeah, if only the bastard Bank of England would listen to CyberTory, everything would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  Yeah, if only the bastard Bank of England would listen to CyberTory, everything would be great.

History shows that it would have helped. SMUG

Comment

After a year of me saying that we needed big rate cuts to AVOID recession
                    You still don't get it? Most economists believe low rates are the reason we were in this mess in this first place, cheap money, easy credit, bang!
                    If rates were higher and reflected true inflationary pressures the banks would not have been lending so freely for so long. The crunch was caused by low rates! and your plan would have been to lower them further. But then your concern isn't the wider economy but servicing YOUR mortgage.

PS As an economic 'expert' you are the person who also told us the housing market wouldn't crash due to supply and demand!
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X