• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My attitude to personal debt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My attitude to personal debt

well ?

Never have, never will have credit card, mortgage or overdraft
    12.73%
    Never use a credit card, but a mortgage is unavoidable
    30.91%
    I have a mortgage and use a credit card to get by
    38.18%
    It would be difficult to imagine surviving without my credit card and overdraft
    3.64%
    Over using credit cards etc has wrecked my fking life
    14.55%

The poll is expired.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

$hit happens - hopefully not too often hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      well ?

Send round some Turkish gentlemen to rip his legs off if he doesn't pay.

Comment

Which is the andyw option?

Comment

You can save money by judicious use of credit. Taking out a mortgage when you can afford to pay 100% in cash means you can invest the money and potentially make a profit off it. Credit cards give you free purchase insurance and also can give you 1% or more cash-back.
          The rich can use credit to get richer. The poor feel they have to use credit to survive, and get poorer.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

some purchases can only be made with a credit card.... and some services need a credit card for a guaruntee

Credit cards are also handy when you open your wallet and realise that your debit card is still in the ******* house
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              some purchases can only be made with a credit card.... and some services need a credit card for a guaruntee
              I've gone off debt big time, don't have any left and I won't have any again (not that anyone will allow me any).

However, as you say, not having some sort of plastic makes transactions very difficult. For example, try buying a plane ticket with cash these days!! It's a good job I know what it's like up the
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

There's no option for used to have lots of debt, now behave very differently.

I now have several credit cards with sizable limits and zero balances. Cards are critical for some transactions to be done with minimal fuss and maximum protection.

Comment

I'm not tempted by credit cards as I can't be arsed keeping tabs on when to pay off the credit and I think you'd tend to spend more. Debit card work everywhere credit cards work in my experience. You don't get much protection on purchases but I've not needed that so far. For you big spenders, I expect they are useful though.

Comment

I almost always use a credit-card, but pay it off every month and pay no interest. It's very useful because it is easy to see what outgoings actually are each month.

Remember also, that if you pay by credit-card you get a guarantee(if over 100 pounds spent) that if goods are shoddy or services not forthcoming, you are allowed to claim a refund off of the card issuer. This has proved very useful for me in the past, and is far less hassle than chasing the seller.

If you are abroad, credit cards are also very convenient for withdrawing foreign cash, and of course it is not a good idea to carry too much cash around with you. Exchange rates on credit-cards are also often superior. I specifically have a Nationwide credit-card because this has very low charges and no exchange rate loading.

Comment

Working...
                    X