• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can Therapy Be Dangerous ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Therapy Be Dangerous ?

I've got a mate (seriously its not me !!!) who has been having therapy Cognitve Behavioural Therapy for about 8 months now, he goes once a fortnight for 2hrs total cost £255 a session paid for by his work health insurance.

Thing is since they have started going he seem alot more screwed up then they were before, and now they can't see to think for themself, its all 'my therapist says I should do x, y, z ....', and this is not on small things but big decisions.

I understand therapy is beneficial in most cases, but I'm starting to think may be something under hand is going on with my mates, obviously with the company paying the therapist is probably not feeling guilty about keeping my mate going to her, could it all be about the £££, a therapist could easily manipulate a already vunrable person for there own ££ gain.

I agree that therapy is beneficial for most - but I tried it and it just did nothing for me except make things worse. Though it was not as bad as the anti-depression drugs I was put on - seriously they made depression worse.

Personally I recommend posting on here what his issues are - eventually he will get the advice he wants to hear. I tried this and received 2 very useful tips :-

Troll - just get on and kill yourself
    Bagpuss - get more exercise

Comment

On this rare occasion maybe an "Ask Lucy" thread wouldn't have been such a bad idea.

I doubt there are many people who don't have any issues at all. It's all in the mind. Some turn to religion, some to drugs (prescribed or otherwise). Those of us with lots of mental strength need neither, but sometimes decide "game over" is the best way. I certainly wouldn't mind having a reset switch some days. Shame there's no actual proof of anything beyond death, so I daren't risk it!

It's funny how many mental illnesses there are now there are expensive drugs and treatments available for them. Depends how cynical you are as to how much exploitation and malpractice you think is going on. I think quite a lot.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
        On this rare occasion maybe an "Ask Lucy" thread wouldn't have been such a bad idea.

I doubt there are many people who don't have any issues at all. It's all in the mind. Some turn to religion, some to drugs (prescribed or otherwise). Those of us with lots of mental strength need neither, but sometimes decide "game over" is the best way. I certainly wouldn't mind having a reset switch some days. Shame there's no actual proof of anything beyond death, so I daren't risk it!

It's funny how many mental illnesses there are now there are expensive drugs and treatments available for them. Depends how cynical you are as to how much exploitation and malpractice you think is going on. I think quite a lot.
        I think you need therapy mate
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
        X