• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorbikers driving style legal ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorbikers driving style legal ?

Making a third lane , overtaking from the left , do these guys have any case at all in case of a collision with your car ....

Normally they are too dead to make a claim.

I make extra space for bikers as I've known too many who have died.

Comment

Originally posted by juststarting View Post
      Making a third lane , overtaking from the left , do these guys have any case at all in case of a collision with your car ....
      None at all, if they're overtaking from the left and collide with your car then they're firmly to blame.

I take care to watch for bikers and get over to the left so that they can pass easily, but I have no sympathy for the ones that drive up the nearside. That being said bikers on the left are very rare on the roads I frequent.

Comment

I always keep an eye out for bikers, having known many, some of whom are no longer around (although falling out of a down express train and then getting run over by the up train, as one of them did, probably can't be blamed on the biking).

I'm not too bothered about them cutting in and out in slow-moving motorway traffic where there's plenty of room. Doing the same on city streets is just stupid, and they have only themselves to blame if I'm forced to swerve by a taxi at the same moment as they're undertaking me.

However I still try to make sure I know where they are, shift over if I can to make room for them to get by, and insofar as is practicable try to establish eye contact via the mirrors to let them know that I'm aware of them. It's up to them if they drive dangerously and come a cropper after that.

EDIT: BTW, the whole "mirror eye contact" thing is because that's what I do to car drivers when riding a pushbike. If you've actually looked the driver in the eye, albeit through one of their mirrors, you can be fairly sure that they've seen you, and recognised you as a human being. If that doesn't seem to work, I assume that they're sufficiently distracted from the traffic around them to be a potential threat, and hang back from them until I'm sure it's safe to get clear of them.

I try to actively do the same to bikers (push and motor) in the hope that it works the other way - if they can see that I'm aware of them and am consciously making room, rather than just aimlessly drifting around, then they can get past me and I no longer have to worry about their presence.
        Last edited by NickFitz; 27 October 2008, 02:55.

Comment

Filtering in traffic when on a motrobike isn't illegal which I was surprised to find out. As told by my biking examiner and I would trust him to know the Highway code.

However, it is in the states.
          "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            I always keep an eye out for bikers, having known many, some of whom are no longer around (although falling out of a down express train and then getting run over by the up train, as one of them did, probably can't be blamed on the biking).

I'm not too bothered about them cutting in and out in slow-moving motorway traffic where there's plenty of room. Doing the same on city streets is just stupid, and they have only themselves to blame if I'm forced to swerve by a taxi at the same moment as they're undertaking me.

However I still try to make sure I know where they are, shift over if I can to make room for them to get by, and insofar as is practicable try to establish eye contact via the mirrors to let them know that I'm aware of them. It's up to them if they drive dangerously and come a cropper after that.
            WHS

I've found that most bikers are pretty courteous and if you do make room for them to zip past will acknowledge you, usually with a quick raised hand or a nod.
            They seem to be better at it than most car drivers too

Incidently, yesterday whilst driving through cheshire, I was rerouted past a closed road, looked like there had been a pretty nasty biker accident
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Nick: The eye contact thing is a well known safety case amongst bikers for the reason you said. I will position myself so you can see me in both mirrors.

Filtering: Completely legal. For you car drivers, just think about how you pass push bikes. If we have room to pass we are entitled.

Passing on the left (as in under taking) is illegal assuming it isn't covered by filtering. I have been amazed recently by the amount of bikes who have passed me on the left on a motorway. Last one I was passing a wagon and was in the 3rd lane. 2 harleys passed between me and the wagon.

It is up to us to make sure it is safe to pass.

I appreciate drivers who pull over to give me room, but please don't be offended if I don't pass. I am constantly assessing the road and can often see better than you. I will pass when it is safe to do so.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                WHS

I've found that most bikers are pretty courteous and if you do make room for them to zip past will acknowledge you, usually with a quick raised hand or a nod.
                They seem to be better at it than most car drivers too

Incidently, yesterday whilst driving through cheshire, I was rerouted past a closed road, looked like there had been a pretty nasty biker accident
                Also look out for a waggle of the feet or a stuck out leg, it is also a signal of thanks for when both hands are busy.
                It is also a signal to tell others to pass.

Bikers are nice people.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I always, always make room for bikers and move over towards the outskirts of the lane to allow them to pass through traffic safely.

However, I had a nutter literally a foot from my bumper the other week – I was following the traffic flow, around 70, and could not go any faster as there were cars ahead of me. So, why drive to aggressively close?

Needless to say I used my washers. In fairness, my windscreen was genuinely dirty from the truck spray in lane 2 next to me.

Most are indeed nice people, some are just aggressive prats. Like car and lorry drivers, they are just people.

Comment

Originally posted by juststarting View Post
                    I assume you are talking about rush hour, stationary traffic on a dual carriageway. While not strictly allowed to undertake, you are allowed (by the highway code) to move past slower moving traffic even if it is to the right of you.
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X