• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Changes to incapacity benefits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changes to incapacity benefits

So the plan is new claimants for incapacity benefits will only get the full amount if they are a)deemed totally unable to work or b)go to training/interviews based on what they CAN do. If your disability doesn't prevent you from working, and you don't attend training, you only get unemployment benefit rather than the higher incapacity benefit.

The idea seems like something CUKers would be in favour of - hitting back at scrounging chavs - but somehow I'm suspicious any Labour initiative will get widely praised here... comments?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I am amazed that Labour are actually doing something, but I think this has more to do with an election looming...... as usual though, with these spin-merchants I will believe it when I see it working.
    After all, they have had 11 years to get some of these people into work, but instead have irresponsibly allowed unsustainable mass immigration to fill gaps in employment while simultaneously paying billions in incapacity benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
      I am amazed that Labour are actually doing something, but I think this has more to do with an election looming
      How does that work then I thought the recieved "wisdom" here was those on benefits vote Labour?
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        If your disability doesn't prevent you from working, and you don't attend training, you only get unemployment benefit rather than the higher incapacity benefit.
        Disadvantages with this I see include:
        a) Unemployment will rise
        b) We won't get as many Gold medals in the London paralympics

Comment

The snot goblin has got to cut spending somewhere, so why not start with an easy target, the sick. The government has been running a very effective spin campaign that all those on sickness benefit are malingerers. None of them are ever going to find an employer who will take them on when there are an infinite number of fit, young migrants to do the job.

It is just a spending cut by stealth and a good way of masking the actual rise in unemployment.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

You can get incappacity benefit for depression. While it's no laughing matter it's a condition that is easy to fake. There are little pockets of communities dotted all over the country that do this, i.e. fiddle the system, have the knowledge of how to work it.
            I applaud any government who has the balls to cut back on the modern day 'ailments' in order to direct the money to those with a genuine need. But no governement ever has or will.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
              The snot goblin has got to cut spending somewhere, so why not start with an easy target, the sick. The government has been running a very effective spin campaign that all those on sickness benefit are malingerers. None of them are ever going to find an employer who will take them on when there are an infinite number of fit, young migrants to do the job.
              You deny there are a huge number of people falsely claiming benefits, or too lazy to try and find work because the benefits are quite high?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                You can get incappacity benefit for depression. While it's no laughing matter it's a condition that is easy to fake. There are little pockets of communities dotted all over the country that do this, i.e. fiddle the system, have the knowledge of how to work it.
                I applaud any government who has the balls to cut back on the modern day 'ailments' in order to direct the money to those with a genuine need. But no governement ever has or will.
                I have never understood why taking people out of work is deemed a cure for especially mental illness. Surely sitting at home doing nothing is far worse than going to work. Of course people who become dependent upon welfare lose aspirations and confidence that only work provides. Their dependence on welfare means tha they will vote for whoever maintains such a system.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

what they give with one hand they take with another

Britishness Day plans 'dropped'
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    Their dependence on welfare means tha they will vote for whoever maintains such a system.
                    This is where I disagree. State benefits have been a 'free for all' for the last 20 + years. Ever since they became a convenient way to massage the unemployment figures. In the 80s unemployment hit 5-6 million, forget the official 3 million, that's codswallop.
                    Both Conservative and Labour have, and will, maintain the status quo until another means to massage the figures is found. Therefore who you vote for makes little difference.

Comment

Working...
                    X