• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Don't just shop for it, Argos it.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't just shop for it, Argos it.

For all those facing financial ruin, Argos has the answer.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008...t-credit-cards

Low-income borrowers were today warned against signing up for an Argos payment card, which has an interest rate of up to 222.7%.

The Easy Shop Card, which the retailer has launched in partnership with sub-prime lender Provident Personal Credit, is aimed at cash-strapped shoppers who want to borrow between £100 and £500 to spend in the store.

The lender's website says applying for the card is "simple and straightforward" with "no complicated forms", and that borrowers can make "affordable, fixed, regular repayments - collected by a local agent".

Local thug.

However, the interest rates on offer are significantly higher than those available on standard credit cards, where APRs tend to be below 30%.

On a £300 loan repaid over a year the website quotes a typical APR of 183.2%, while shorter-term borrowing attracts even higher rates.

A consumer borrowing £100 on the card would be charged £35 in interest if they repaid it at a rate of £5 a week over 27 weeks, giving an APR of 222.7%.

Those free big catalogues they give away ain't free you know...

Comment

A consumer borrowing £100 on the card would be charged £35 in interest if they repaid it at a rate of £5 a week over 27 weeks, giving an APR of 222.7%.

Can someone show me the maths for this ?

£35 on £100 in a year is 35% ?

Paid in 27 weeks - approx 6 months = 70% ?? (still very high )

Comment

Originally posted by foritisme View Post

Can someone show me the maths for this ?

Paid in 27 weeks - approx 6 months = 70% ?? (still very high )
        I dunno but this calculator agrees with 222.7 APR
        http://brian-stewart.orpheusweb.co.u...t/equalapr.htm
        ..and the Javascript that does the calculation is mad..like most other financial cack:

function CalcRate() {

var p=getVal(document.input.credit.value);
        var i=getVal(document.input.initial.value);
        var a=getVal(document.input.repay.value);
        var n=Math.floor(getVal(document.input.number.value));
        var f=getVal(document.input.last.value);

//Isaac's magic ...
        var x=1.0001; var fx=0; var dx=0; var z=0;
        do {
        fx=i+a*(Math.pow(x,n+1)-x)/(x-1)+f*Math.pow(x,n)-p;
        dx=a*(n*Math.pow(x,n+1)-(n+1)*Math.pow(x,n)+1)/Math.pow(x-1,2)+n*f*Math.pow(x,n-1);
        z=fx/dx; x=x-z;
        //alert("fx="+fx+"\ndx="+dx+"\nz="+z+"\nx="+x)
        }
        while (Math.abs(z)>1e-9);
        r=100*(Math.pow(1/x,m)-1);

document.input.credit.value=TwoDP(p);
        document.input.initial.value=TwoDP(i);
        document.input.repay.value=TwoDP(a);
        document.input.number.value=n;
        document.input.last.value=TwoDP(f);
        document.input.apr.value=OneDP(r);
        }
        Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

What idiot gets a store card? Or keeps a balance on a credit card come to that.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            That'll be the peasants..you haven't heard of them have you.
            Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

You answered your own question. Although in reality they do try to make it sound attractive by giving you free stuff when you open an account by using the card.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by foritisme View Post
                Yep, but the APR figure shows what interest you pay taking into account the regular repayments made that reduce the principle during the term. An iterative solution would soon find it, if there's no easy closed form solution.

Comment

I keep 1 credit card maxed out, as it pays me to do so.

As for store cards - try going to the local town centre on your lunch break and check out the amount of jobless retards allowed to spend money and you'll have your answer.
                  Bored.

Comment

Working...
                  X