• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Around the world trip

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Around the world trip

How long do you recon you would need to do a decent holiday / trip around the world, 3 months, 6 months ? How much do you thing you would be able to do it for, assuming not crap hotels, and no mega expensive flights ?

I know a guy that did it in 80 days, but he had the plod on his tail

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

42 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
        How long do you recon you would need to do a decent holiday / trip around the world, 3 months, 6 months ? How much do you thing you would be able to do it for, assuming not crap hotels, and no mega expensive flights ?
        You could do it in 2 weeks if you wanted or 2 years. Depends how you want to travel and how long to spend in each country.

Also what your definition of "around" the world. There are many variations. I'm assuming your talking Asia -> Auz -> USA

Comment

I did overland (where possible) from Beijing a loop around China, SE Asia; Laos, Vitenam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia (could easily spend 6 months there), Australia (spent just 6 weeks which is no where near long enough IMO), New Zealand (min 1 month N and S isalnds really required), Chile

all in took me 14 months, travelling like a backpacker king (hostels and cheap hotels but no, or very few, scrubby places, lots of side trips; scuba diving etc.) and spent £15k (which truth be told for a backpacker that's ridiculous amount to be spending on average given the cheapness of countries i went through)..

that was back in 2002/2003..

HTH

i agree wih SP, i met people who'd been out for 6,7,8 yrs and others doing a summary of my trip in 2 or 3 weeks.. it depends on finance and spare time
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I did Thailand -> Malaysia -> Bornio -> Indonesia -> Aus -> Japan -> Home in 5 months, most of the time in thailand/malaysia/indonesia, backpacker hotels but didnt live cheap at all...did LOADS of scuba diving/rock climbing/surfing. and saw the sights and lived it up a bit, but to a budget.

Flights were 780 on STA
            Spending money was about 4k. Could have done it cheaper really, but I'm pretty happy with the spend to fun ratio i had. :-)

do it, its awesome

Comment

Depending how old you are, what you feel about your career etc
              I'd say the limiting factor (bar having enough dosh) is your own state of mind.
              After a year I was thoroughly ready to get back on the treadmill and work towards my future rather than continue in the relatively selfish and hedonistic manner of a world wide backpacker.
              Piece of advice...don't rush countries...take the time to hang around in places. You can always do the countries you missed another time, so it's best not to "waste" the ones you are going to.
              I'd say go for 6 months and if you want to extend your ticket for 9 then cool...but a year is too long unless you do something focussed, constructive and static along the way...like working in Oz or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
                .but a year is too long unless you do something focussed, constructive and static along the way...like working in Oz or something.
                or simply keep moving around the pacific seeing how the countries change, personally i'd happily spend years and years wandering the planet, it's one of the best things i ever decided to do IMO.. but then I suppose it's all down to an individual's personal preferences
                The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Don't get me wrong....was the best year of my life too.
                  But I certainly wasn't alone in feeling that you have to strike a balance and globe trotting for years and years and progressing with the "real" life back home.

That's why I posted...to say it's your personality (and finances) that dictate the length of a trip like this...not the size of the earth.

P.S. Probably going to do a six monther next year...south america mostly but will need SE Asia fix in there too.

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
                    Piece of advice...don't rush countries...take the time to hang around in places. You can always do the countries you missed another time, so it's best not to "waste" the ones you are going to.
                    Absolutely. When I was in South America, I spent about a month in Rio alone: and I only went to the beach twice.

I can't remember why now, because I have lost the mindset that appreciated that, but it was right at the time. Not too fast.

Comment

Working...
                    X