• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

dumbass agent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dumbass agent

Highlighted the most stupid parts

Dear 'Me'

As I am sure you are aware I work exclusively in the SQL Server market on the contract side. I am looking to arrange a meeting with yourself on Friday 6th November to discuss your CV and future employment aspirations if you are currently available.

This meeting would be a pre requisite for putting you forward for contract roles in the north, and would provide you with more of an idea of how I work as well as how I can help in terms of providing employment opportunities.

If for any reason you are unavailable on this day please to not hesitate to contact me and rearrange. Please get back to me as soon as possible to confirm a time.

I am available from 8am throughout the day.

4th Floor
    St Paul's House
    Park Square South
    Leeds
    LS1 2ND
    United Kingdom

Kind Regards,

'name removed'
    Pathway BPM Contract
    Phone: +44(0)1132 xxxxxxxxx
    Web: http://www.pathwayresourcing.com
    Last edited by YHB; 28 October 2008, 19:13.

There's a few expensive bars round that way. Make him buy you lunch.
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Would- but currently in Zurich lol

My Reply:

I am an experienced & highly skilled contractor with a strong CV. Think these meetings are for juniors & school leavers so would never attend anything of the such- besides your email appears arrogant with the "as im sure you are aware" and stating rather than asking a conveniant date, and you should at least offer a decent lunch!

Jokes aside I'm sure the prioritised pre-requisite is more if you can make money out of me so let me know if you have any roles (currently tied up untill Q2 2009)

Thanks

Last edited by YHB; 28 October 2008, 18:51.

Comment

Last time I had such a email I ended up having a thai lunch in the City with a couple of agents ten years my junior. The lunch served no useful purpose, other than to let me stretch my legs and practise tying my tie, and of course the free lunch itself (which was OK but not much to write home about.)

At one point one of the shiny besuited oiks suggested my rate was a little high and so I shrugged. I actually ended up working in a new contract the next Monday (through a different agent) on my desired rate. Would I go to another free lunch? Probably yes, though I really don't see why agencies bother.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

I would rather eat my shoes than spend an hour with people who I dont have anything in common with, and who are probably only doing it for a free dinner themselves.

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Sometimes it can be interesting meeting your agent. The last one I met sounded like he had all the experience in the world (maybe it was AtW doing a bit of moonlighting ).

He turned out to be about 16. Couldn't stop laughing evertime he rang after that. Now I imagine every agent I speak to is fresh out of (con) school. Probably right most of the time.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

I thought most agents were about 12.

It is interesting when you get called about a role and you check said agent up on linkedin most of them seem to have left uni less than a year ago.

Thankfully most of my regulars are a tad older.

funny though i've only had lunch with two of my agents, the rest i've never even met.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Never waste time visiting an agent. You will be wasting your time and pride. All they ever should need is your CV and tel nr.

OTOH If you happen to be in a contract and the agent who placed you wants to come and buy you lunch, then that's fine. Make sure you order a decent bottle of wine

Comment

If I was going for the cheap laugh I could suggest "dumbass agent" is a tautology.

Comment

the one and only time an agent has taken me out to lunch he also invited along client co manager, who decided to drive to said restaurant rather than get a taxi "so you can have a drink".. err thanks???? I was getting the train and assuming the lunch would last the best part of the afternoon anyway.. which it did

a very nice michelin starred restaurant and the agent did a very good job of ensuring an extension for myself and repeat business further down the line while I picked the gold leaf off the desert and enjoyed the wine..

would i go again? sure, why not..
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X