• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can't-believe-we-got-away-with-this thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't-believe-we-got-away-with-this thread

I'll start:

10 years ago we used to write tulipty little Access databases with attached tables for blue chip companies and get paid the same as I do now.

Man these things were tulip. There were thousands of these horrors all across the desktops, all crashing hourly and all doing business critical stuff. Clients would ask for more!

Nowadays things seem so much more grown-up with enterprise scaleable, distributed, SOA systems utilising design patterns etc..

Them were the days - money for old rope!

I frequently see crappy access databases like that, more often than not because the client is having a problem with it (again) and wants me to have a look when I've got a bit of spare time.

Usually my response is "Which idiot wrote this crap?"
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Currently working as a PM for the NHS
      Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
        Currently working as a PM for the NHS

Been there.
        That boy go raaaaaaa
        Copyright (C) BabyBear1 - with thanks to VF for hosting

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            I frequently see crappy access databases like that, more often than not because the client is having a problem with it (again) and wants me to have a look when I've got a bit of spare time.

And just like plumbers. Tradesmen everywhere they just love telling you how stupid you were to use the idiot "what did that". These people really irritate me. Why cant they dispense with the humiliation bit identify the problem and then sort it out.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

A tester should never complain about programmers who write tulip.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
                I'll start:

10 years ago we used to write tulipty little Access databases with attached tables for blue chip companies and get paid the same as I do now.

Man these things were tulip. There were thousands of these horrors all across the desktops, all crashing hourly and all doing business critical stuff. Clients would ask for more!

Nowadays things seem so much more grown-up with enterprise scaleable, distributed, SOA systems utilising design patterns etc..

Them were the days - money for old rope!
                Them and Lotus Notes "databases" / applications.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Them and Lotus Notes "databases" / applications.

There are still plenty of bugs though, and it’s not getting any harder to find them.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

some of us are making big buck converting access apps to sql/oracle

it seems to be all I do nowadays.

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X