• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

.net training

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.net training

ok, i'll bite to all the hype, im curious

if I was looking to upskill in .net:

1) what would the panel advised me to take in regards to training courses?
    2) what path would then be the most obvious if I wanted to begin contracting in this area?
    3) how much would rates be to begin with?
    4) what are prospective rates long term if this was my career?
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Do you mean the carppy, german, unmanagable, resource hungry, never been implemented well, hugely expensive .net or that wonderous microsoft environment?

Just asking.

Comment

Pondlife,

please, try to remain professional and do not be sarcastic against the hand which feeds thee

chef, if you are talking about the .Net which me, Pondlife, NotAllThere, rootsnall, ThomasChristianAnderson, and the other one forgot his sig, do,

then, basically, there is no chance for newbies to get into this area

hope that helps and stops you from wasting time and money trying to get in

Milan.

Comment

Little known fact, .Net was named after its inventor, Dorothy Net
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

both if possible as then i'd be able to make an informed decision as to which if either compare to my current skillset/daily rate potential, it was more just an off the cuff thought rather than a serious Im changing my skillset..

.. on second thoughts I dont actually expect a serious answer to this q, although it would be nice, mainly because i've asked in General and also why would anyone want to divulge the easiest way for someone to become direct future competition..

however, if anyone would care to to answer the q's i'd appreciate a PM with the answers..
          Last edited by chef; 29 October 2008, 15:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            Little known fact, .Net was named after its inventor, Dorothy Net

really?

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
              Pondlife,

please, try to remain professional and do not be sarcastic against the hand which feeds thee

chef, if you are talking about the .Net which me, Pondlife, NotAllThere, rootsnall, ThomasChristianAnderson, and the other one forgot his sig, do,

then, basically, there is no chance for newbies to get into this area

hope that helps and stops you from wasting time and money trying to get in

Milan.
              Ok, I apologise for the German reference - even if it is.

Comment

chef,

seriously, it's not possible to simply do some training and move into our .net

what the customers want is:

years of experience and they value long experience in this area

deep knowledge in your main area combined with vast broad knowledge of all the orbiting parts

years of projects to be able to bring experience of all the issues and solutions to your current project

your only chance, is to get a permie role (if that is even possible for someone with no experience) and do that for a few years and then contracting

most people get into our .net because the company they worked for bought the product, or if they were really lucky they get a trainee role in .net as a permie

funny thing about the .net area is, _everybody_ in .net has a story to tell about how they got into it

anybody disagree with the above ?

Milan.

Comment

I know it might sound silly, but I've just started learning VB.Net.

There's free online tutorials, which is quite good (from my limited experience).

It's Microsoft .net and there is stuff you can download from their site to help you do the exercises.

This is just for personal interest by the way and not intended for career development. I'm also learning web skills too so I can create and maintain my own website.
                  It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

for the German version, called .nett, then the easiest way in will be to get a permie junior job at en end user company, after 4 years there you get at job at a consultancy as a junior consultant and work on projects for clients - after 4 years of that you start contracting as you can now prove to have done 4-5 full life cycle implementation projects.
                    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Working...
                    X