• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fork out £30 a year for .NET framework?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork out £30 a year for .NET framework?

Not a huge amount but an MS tax nontheless.

Was thinking of putting up a portal to showcase ASP.NET stuff - to try out new ideas and to use a portfolio for new work.

Most of the respected geeks that write books etc. seem to have straightforward static sites with code that you download, so is that the way to go do you think? Or should I have a ready made portal with links to various apps?

sounds very complicated

why share your knowledge ?

strange

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
      sounds very complicated
      I'm guessing most things sound complicated to you.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

keep it simple

Milan.

Comment

I own a great .NET related .com domain name i'm not using and can sell it you for vast sums if you are interested.

Comment

Morning Benes!

Idea is this: would like to practice implementing new ideas with real world application i.e. site with various simple (but useful to me) apps.

So if, for example, I would like to refactor using the UIP app block to demonstrate (and get used to implementing) the MVC architecture I do it here. Must be better than randomly coding "hello world" apps.

So £30 a year, business expense - not a huge amount but grates a little as it is lining Bill's pockets.

Comment

morning Shim,

hope life and business is going well and treating you fine

Milan.

Comment

Everything rosy for me - kids fantastic and I kicked a dead end permie job into touch earlier this year, dusted my spurs down and got back onto the contracting rodeo.

Blagged a modest .NET gig into the bargain - toot toot.

How's life in the Eastern Bloc?

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
                  Blagged a modest .NET gig into the bargain - toot toot.
                  If you earn a living from programming .NET, be prepared to share small bits of your earnings with the others who also make a living from .NET.

Windows hosting as always been more expensive than Linux due to licensing costs, there are ASP.NET hosting deals below £30 pa however.

Comment

It's not an MS tax, if a host charges you to have ASP.net. Dynamic scripting like JSP/PHP often costs money too, since it puts more strain on the server than static HTML.

Also, you could host your stuff on your own PC, if you could be bothered to sort it out and had a spare PC you could use.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X