• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A lesson in irony

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lesson in irony

Snow fell as the House of Commons debated Global Warming yesterday - the first October fall in the metropolis since 1922. The Mother of Parliaments was discussing the Mother of All Bills for the last time, in a marathon six hour session.

In order to combat a projected two degree centigrade rise in global temperature, the Climate Change Bill pledges the UK to reduce its carbon dioxide emissions by 80 per cent by 2050. The bill was receiving a third reading, which means both the last chance for both democratic scrutiny and consent.

The bill creates an enormous bureaucratic apparatus for monitoring and reporting, which was expanded at the last minute. Amendments by the Government threw emissions from shipping and aviation into the monitoring program, and also included a revision of the Companies Act (c. 46) “requiring the directors’ report of a company to contain such information as may be specified in the regulations about emissions of greenhouse gases from activities for which the company is responsible” by 2012.

By Andrew Orlowski The Register

Fantastic irony.
    Note the many, many new regulations include extra burden for Ltds.
    Bored.

They'll do everything except see the problem - over population. I hereby declare the human species officially nuts. Here's another group of nutters missing the obvious :

Climate damage science studied by Royal Society

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
      Snow fell
      It's a message from god seeing as there aren't many burning bushes since they all went hollywood.

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
      also included a revision of the Companies Act (c. 46) “requiring the directors’ report of a company to contain such information as may be specified in the regulations about emissions of greenhouse gases from activities for which the company is responsible” by 2012.

No prizes for guessing how they intend raising some taxes in the near future.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        They'll do everything except see the problem - over population
        Timberwolf you bet me to it. Just the other day there was an article about how if everyone in the world lived the way we do we'd need 3.5 planets worth of resources.

Doh!

Hey, no-one said we were a long-term species. 99.9% of all species that has ever lived are now extinct. Its only a matter of time for us ... and time is running out.

Too many ppl + not enough resources = massive bun-fight for whats left. Who cares if the world is a degree or two warmer, its a red herring (soon to be extinct)...

Comment

and time is running out.
          How do I go about speeding things up a bit?
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I think that they always miss the ball with climate stuff - just convince/show businesses that it is cheaper being 'green'. How many times do you see whle office blocks at night with all the lights left on?

I've only ever worked on one site where they had sensors in the room to switch the lights off if no-one was in there - that sort of thing must pay for itself in a year.

Forget the whole 'more regulation' stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy198 View Post
              I've only ever worked on one site where they had sensors in the room to switch the lights off if no-one was in there - that sort of thing must pay for itself in a year.
              Ha, one place I worked at had that in the office, corridors and the loos.

I managed to get plunged into darkness in only two of the three though.

Comment

Working...
              X