• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Government data stick found at pub

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Government data stick found at pub

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20081102/...b-dba1618.html

Okay! Which one of you was it?
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Why am I not suprised?

Comment

With the Govermin's thinking, they'll just ban anyone from having pub lunches.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

That's on top of the cvil servant guy that fell asleep while looking at top secret HMG documents/emails on his laptop on a train. This was reported by the person sitting next to him who actually took photos of incriminating details on the screens !!

It'll all be ok once we have ID cards though.

Comment

It should not have been possible at all to extract all such data in one go unless explicitly authorised in writing and certainly not on removable media.

select * from customers without authorisation should be gross misconduct at the very least. That's like worse than shorting stocks.

Comment

What I don't understand with all these CDs etc. that go missing, is firstly, why they are allowed out of a controlled environment, secondy, why they seldom seem to be encrypted, thirdly, why the 'courier' so often mislays them, and most importantly, why government/police/local authority/revenue offices etc. seem to employ such beef-witted dullards in the first place, let alone entrust them with sensitive data off site.

Why can't this data be sent interdepartmentally over a VPN?

FFS! Hellooooo, we have the interweb thingy now, you know!

I'm honestly getting bored hearing about this kind of lapse now.

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Apparently this data was encrypted, so at least that is one positive thing !!

Comment

What confounds me about these data losses is that the systems are so badly constructed and governed that the data can be extracted in sizable chunks and stuck onto removable media and laptops to be lost in the first place.

Comment

What surprises me, is that these idiots know how to download in the first place.
                  A total Legal ban should be in place for the physical transport of sensitive data, without added security I.e carrier to be accompanied by a security officer while data is in the open. For Government and private sector.
                  Costs would be so prohibitive that they would soon switch to using VPN for data transfer or allow access from in-house secure terminals only. That would stop the sods from sneaking off early and catching up on their work at home.

Think about it! if so much critical information is being left laying around pubs, trains, rubbish tips and the streets of this country by accident, how much is being sold on to third parties deliberately?
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                  X