• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

loose thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

loose thread

Why indeed do people spell "lose" as "loose"? I would really like to know.

Originally posted by expat View Post
    Loose morals?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

And vice versa !

Comment

Let's face it, these people are loosers.

HTH

Comment

I always thought it was an Americanism till I noticed a lot of foreigners doing it here on CUK

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Probably because the pronunciation of a word and its spelling are only loosely related. How about spelling lose 'looz' or 'loos'?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              Probably because the pronunciation of a word and its spelling are only loosely related. How about spelling lose 'looz' or 'loos'?
              Toilet mouth
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                But the way that you spell a word correctly is by knowing how it is spelled, not by guessing. Or by having a more sophisticated understanding of how standard spellings come to be, but I do not think that we are talking about "more sophisticated" here.

Are you saying that all these loosers simply do not know how to spell the word "lose", but they either are unaware that they don't know (how can that be?), or they don't think it matters, they can just wing it? Because they can't.

Either you know how to spell it, or you look it up. It's not hard.

Comment

But the way that you spell a word correctly is by knowing how it is spelled, not by guessing. Or by having a more sophisticated understanding of how standard spellings come to be, but I do not think that we are talking about "more sophisticated" here.

Are you saying that all these loosers simply do not know how to spell the word "lose", but they either are unaware that they don't know (how can that be?), or they don't think it matters, they can just wing it? Because they can't.

It is if you are dyslexic
                  Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

I imagine in most cases it's just carelessness. Whoever has never done so, let him loose the first stone.

Learning to spell each and every word individually cures the symptoms but not the underlying cause - that language is carp. What a waste of time and brain cells in place of updating the spellings.

The first syllable of both 'loose' and 'lose', is 'loo' (I think). It appears to be that their spelling should differ in the second syllable, the 'se' rather than 'loo': Loose and looze.

Comment

Working...
                    X