• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not true

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not true

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...1trillion.html

Gordon Brown's tax raid on pension funds has snatched £17,000 from every worker's retirement pot, research says today.

Yet the value of public sector schemes - funded by taxpayers - has soared to an astonishing £1trillion.

Totally untrue. £17,000 has not been snatched from every private pension pot. For some people, the amount taken is actually much higher.

I really cannot abide sloppy journalism.

Still, the public pension pot is looking very healthy. And that's what matters.
    If you've got a problem and no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire...Gordon Brown ...( cue music )

Originally posted by Gordon Brown View Post
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...1trillion.html

Totally untrue. £17,000 has not been snatched from every private pension pot. For some people, the amount taken is actually much higher.

I really cannot abide sloppy journalism.

Still, the public pension pot is looking very healthy. And that's what matters.

It's not looking healthy for the taxpayer, because the majority of it is unfunded and payable out of our future taxes. We need a change of government and action, because Labour have only shown inertia on what is a ticking timebomb.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
      It's not looking healthy for the taxpayer, because the majority of it is unfunded and payable out of our future taxes. We need a change of government and action, because Labour have only shown inertia on what is a ticking timebomb.
      Right. A change of government to one that does not show intertia in the face of the ticking pensions timebomb. And that would be ?

(I could give you a clue as to who would be no better)

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        Right. A change of government to one that does not show intertia in the face of the ticking pensions timebomb. And that would be ?

(I could give you a clue as to who would be no better)

We need a government that will face up to the unions. Only one party would ever do that, and yes it is the Tories, and we know that they have done that in the past.
        Labour will not upset them because most of their funding comes from union sources, and in fact they actually backed down on retirement ages. Consequently, private sector employees have to work five years longer to retirement than those in the public sector.

Comment

We need a government that will face up to the unions. Only one party would ever do that, and yes it is the Tories, and we know that they have done that in the past.
          Labour will not upset them because most of their funding comes from union sources, and in fact they actually backed down on retirement ages. Consequently, private sector employees have to work five years longer to retirement than those in the public sector.
          There is an easy way to get a public sector pension for yourself. Can you guess what it is?

The problem is not the pensions, and to suggest that it is is miserly and mean-spirited. The problem is the funding method, and I do not see anyone fixing that soon.

Comment

There is an easy way to get a public sector pension for yourself. Can you guess what it is?

The problem is not the pensions, and to suggest that it is is miserly and mean-spirited. The problem is the funding method, and I do not see anyone fixing that soon.

Public pensions are unsustainable..... end of story.

Comment

Public pensions are unsustainable..... end of story.
              I concur with the first part, but not the second. Surely there will be a lot more to the story?

Comment

No it is the pensions. Final salary pensions were conceived at a time when life expectancy was about 65-68. You see what they did there? Now it's hi 70's. Also a lot of nice early retirement options were tacked on after.
                The public sector pension level is unacceptable and unsustainable. It will have to be reduced (not by labour) , there is no serious debate on that point. While we wait for politicians to find a backbone, brain, sense of responsibility (could take a while) we, well actually, you will be hit with some serious tax rises to cover the shortfall.
                Bored.

Comment

There is quite a difference in public sector pensions. Teachers and some other lowly sorts have actually contributed 6% rising to 9% while some top grade bastard civil servants have paid nothing.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    There is quite a difference in public sector pensions. Teachers and some other lowly sorts have actually contributed 6% rising to 9% while some top grade bastard civil servants have paid nothing.
                    Are there teachers contributing to a pension pot, or is the pension paid out if general taxation ?

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X