• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Career Break / Gap Year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Career Break / Gap Year

I'm not sure what the correct term is for takign a year off work and bumming round the world when you're the wrong side of 30 (just) and going as a married couple. But anyway, this weekend the missus and I decided to do just that.
    We're not rushing into it mind, and are giving ourselves until this time next year (when our fixed rate mortgage deal runs out) before we go.

We're currently in the VERY early stages of planning, but are looking to be away for about 12 months.

Not quite the same as doing it in your teens or fresh out of Uni, when you have no career to speak of.
    Just wondered if anyone else had done similar and could offer their experience of work impact/ practicalities of stuff to sort before you go, and getting things back up and running when you get back (assuming we don't just settle on a goat farm in patagonia).

Most likely outcome is you will visit somewhere like New Zealand, Aus or Canada and then emigrate there some time later.

You'll realise what a miserable, debt laden, washed-up sh1tehole the UK is and never look back.

Good luck and enjoy.

Comment

I think the best term is a sabbatical?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
        I'm not sure what the correct term is for takign a year off work and bumming round the world when you're the wrong side of 30 (just) and going as a married couple. But anyway, this weekend the missus and I decided to do just that.
        We're not rushing into it mind, and are giving ourselves until this time next year (when our fixed rate mortgage deal runs out) before we go.

We're currently in the VERY early stages of planning, but are looking to be away for about 12 months.

Not quite the same as doing it in your teens or fresh out of Uni, when you have no career to speak of.
        Just wondered if anyone else had done similar and could offer their experience of work impact/ practicalities of stuff to sort before you go, and getting things back up and running when you get back (assuming we don't just settle on a goat farm in patagonia).
        You need to allow for 24 months.. 12 months bumming around the world and 12 months bumming around recruitment agencies looking for a job
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

What a lot of bumming.
          </ being 13 again>
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I did similar with the Mrs the wrong side of 30, also did it a few times previously. I've never had any problems getting back into the contract market, drop your rate and be a little less choosy for the initial contract. I used to gradually shrink the gaps in my CV but I don't think anybody gives a tulip to be honest if you are experienced and there are clients looking for your skillset. One top tip is to close down your Ltd and make sure all the loose ends such as VAT are well and truly closed. Leave as little admin as possible behind you in the UK, renting out your house is another potential bit of aggro as I found out.

Comment

New Zealanders call it an OE (Overseas Experience), age is irrelevant to it being called that.

Comment

Me and the Mrs did it in 2004 (when we were both 29). Had absolutely no problems when we got back (she's an accountant). In fact that's how I fell into contracting - it was the 1st thing I was offered.
                And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
                  New Zealanders call it an OE (Overseas Experience), age is irrelevant to it being called that.

But you worked, whereas this guy is simply
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    But you worked, whereas this guy is simply
                    When I say "bumming around" we do intend to do some productive stuff, like volunteering, helping build an orphanage in the Andes, that sort of stuff.

I understand that upon our return, some clients may be curious about what I have done with this time, but quite frankly I can't see what difference it makes to them whether I spent the last 12 months working for a hedge fund in mayfair, or knocking together a fence in Borneo.
                    My work is mostly non-technical test management stuff anyway, so it's not as though 12 months out of the scene will render my soft skills redundant.

Comment

Working...
                    X