• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Credit Crunch ™ Is it over poll?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Crunch ™ Is it over poll?

Can't see many job losses outside the City, shops are packed, roads are packed, airports are packed, contracts a plenty.

You decide.
    Over/behind us. Next year rodders we'll all be property millionaires again. Boomed!
    25.00%
    Not even started. Banks will go bust and it's 1929 all over again. Doomed!
    52.78%
    AndyW's favourite breakfast cereal
    22.22%

Well its all a bit strange isn't it.

Been to Bluewater and Lakeside over the last 4 weekends and both complexes have been packed with shoppers. Shoppers buying things as well, as opposed to window shopping.

Have noticed recruitment side of things slowing down a little, but then that is not that unusual as the majority of our clients are coming to the end of their budgets - so not sure the slowing down is crunchy credit related.

Spoke with assistant in holiday firm shop and enquired if their were any significant reductions on holidays for 2009 but she replied that no their wasn't as they were selling holidays at the same level as 2007.

The majority of clients I am speaking to have budget plans for recruiting lots of IT at the beginning of 2009 and generally seem to have an air of BAU.
    I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

Is there any useful data on recruitment / contracts advertised?
      i.e. to compare with same time i previous years?
      I know job ads are not truly representative of actual contracts available, but as a guide, it's something to go on.
      Perhaps there is some other, reliable data we could use to determine whether the contract market has grown or shrunk over the last year. Anybody know of any sources?

Comment

You could do worse than to consult the Pruffock Grey Slates Index(c)
        which states that the first signs of a recession is evident from restautant bookings - or the lack of.

Do you see lots of empty tables at your local restaurants ?

Find out !

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
          You could do worse than to consult the Pruffock Grey Slates Index(c)
          which states that the first signs of a recession is evident from restautant bookings - or the lack of.

Do you see lots of empty tables at your local restaurants ?

Find out !
          MacDonald's is heaving!

Comment

Are you meaning the recession will not materialise then?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

And what about house prices continuing to drop?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Are you meaning the recession will not materialise then?
                What recession? Low interest rates, full employment, highly skilled migrants doing all the work for us. We're sorted mate!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  What recession? Low interest rates, full employment, highly skilled migrants doing all the work for us. We're sorted mate!
                  Who claimed that then?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                    Who claimed that then?
                    Look at the official Government figures - ignore the hordes of tracksuit-clad layabouts hanging around your local city centre!

Boomed!

Comment

Working...
                    X