• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Silliest IT buzzword ever - "the Cloud"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silliest IT buzzword ever - "the Cloud"

FFS. The Economist had a special section on corporate IT where they used the phrase "the Cloud" ad nauseum. Other commentators seem to be using it also. What does it mean? As far as I can see it seems to refer to the combination of web-based applications and the ability to access them wirelessly?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

"Digital Dashboard"

That one (for some reason) really grates with me.

Digital dashboard projects involve business units as the driver and the information technology department as the enabler. The success of digital dashboard projects often rely on the correct selection of metrics to monitor.

Comment

I think when non techie journos use it... they are referring to storing your information online, and not on your PC.

Comment

You guys are starting to talk Gartnerese. That’s a whole new category of bulltulip.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
          I think when non techie journos use it... they are referring to storing your information online, and not on your PC.
          Do you think the average CIO knows the difference?
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            FFS. The Economist had a special section on corporate IT where they used the phrase "the Cloud" ad nauseum. Other commentators seem to be using it also. What does it mean? As far as I can see it seems to refer to the combination of web-based applications and the ability to access them wirelessly?
            AFAIK it's 'grid computing' over the internet. With the potential for optimum use of resources it provides I would have thought a greenie like you would have been a fan

Comment

As I recall, Cloud means stuff you know f***-all about.

It originates from those network diagrams, where people draw clouds to gloss over the telecomms.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing

Isn't it just meaning when all your data is stored in the web, and you have the convenience of accessing it slowly and unreliably?

Can you tell I like old-fashioned desktop applications
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

"Thought Leadership" - been there, heard that. Usually a consultancies way of selling carp the client does not want/need.

Comment

I thought it was everything contained in your network environment that ? ( as per the last comment on the fluffy thing shown on network diagrams)
                    Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Working...
                    X