PDA

View Full Version : Part time work….

Wilmslow
4th November 2008, 10:58
Credit crunch biting now I am permiedom and a scary moolah a month mortgage.

Times are hard. Spent £££’s making the new pad inhaitable.

So, as well as cutting back, I am looking for some extra pennies.

If there is a rent-a-tester version of the rent-a-coder, that would be great.

Failing that, what would be interesting part time work to go for?

DimPrawn
4th November 2008, 10:59
Wilmslow.

I pray to God you are someone's sockpuppet. If not. He's a suggestion.

:suicide:

HTH

Diver
4th November 2008, 11:03
Credit crunch biting now I am permiedom and a scary moolah a month mortgage.

Times are hard. Spent £££’s making the new pad inhaitable.

So, as well as cutting back, I am looking for some extra pennies.

If there is a rent-a-tester version of the rent-a-coder, that would be great.

Window cleaning
Dog walking
Male prostitute
Barman

Purple Dalek
4th November 2008, 11:03
Wilmslow.

I pray to God you are someone's sockpuppet. If not. He's a suggestion.

:suicide:

HTH

Must be one of threadeds' (sic).

tay
4th November 2008, 11:05
Window cleaning
Dog walking
Male prostitute
Barman

Or combinations of the above.

moorfield
4th November 2008, 11:05

Maybe there's room for another goblin in Santa's Grotto at your local shopping centre.

HairyArsedBloke
4th November 2008, 11:09
Window cleaning
Dog walking
Male prostitute
Barman

Hey! :tantrum:

I've got London and the South East, Atw has got the Midlands and the North. We don't need anyone else.

Spacecadet
4th November 2008, 11:14
Hey! :tantrum:

I've got London and the South East, Atw has got the Midlands and the North. We don't need anyone else.

Get any problems from truckers?

Diver
4th November 2008, 11:35
Get any problems from truckers?

That would be Churchill :D

Hi Bazza :wave:

Crusoe101
4th November 2008, 11:36
I thought santa had elves and not goblins???

Shimano105
4th November 2008, 11:39
(WRT original post) Why oh why oh why oh why do people get themelves into this situation? :freaky:

Pondlife
4th November 2008, 11:41
(WRT original post) Why oh why oh why oh why do people get themelves into this situation? :freaky:

What's not to understand? Originally posted by Wilmslow.

Shimano105
4th November 2008, 11:45
<canned laughter>

d000hg
4th November 2008, 12:11
Assuming your job has a sensible salary, how can you not afford to make ends meet? Did you buy a £500K house and have to pay £2000/month? Do you have kids at private school? If so, you bought outside your means. If not, you just don't know how to live within your means. A software professional should not need to take a 2nd job to pay the rent, like some unskilled worker.

Pondlife
4th November 2008, 12:12
Why do people still take this seriously. :confused:

DiscoStu
4th November 2008, 12:18
Assuming your job has a sensible salary, how can you not afford to make ends meet? Did you buy a £500K house and have to pay £2000/month? Do you have kids at private school? If so, you bought outside your means. If not, you just don't know how to live within your means. A software professional should not need to take a 2nd job to pay the rent, like some unskilled worker.

Cos he bought another house without selling his old one. Perfect timing for becoming a BTL landlord :rolleyes:

Wilmslow
4th November 2008, 12:59
Cos he bought another house without selling his old one. Perfect timing for becoming a BTL landlord :rolleyes:

Not far off the truth to be honest.

I get £700 rent, mortgage is £550, but there is a lot of hassle with the measly £150 profit!

Plan is to wait another 40 years until the price starts to rise again.......

Just a bad couple of months - it is not every month you shell out £12K on home improvements!

We are talking new bathroom, kitchen and lounge. Literally.

oracleslave
4th November 2008, 13:02

I get £700 rent, mortgage is £550, but there is a lot of hassle with the measly £150 profit!

Just a bad couple of months - it is not every month you shell out £12K on home improvements!

<<<canned laughter>>>

ace00
4th November 2008, 13:07
Just in time to get down the post office and sort some xmas mail I think.

Wilmslow
4th November 2008, 13:16
Just in time to get down the post office and sort some xmas mail I think.

Hmm... You may be onto something.

I like the idea of a Saturday post round, I am used to getting up early and would welcome the excercise!

Platypus
4th November 2008, 13:26
Newspaper delivery boy.

Bar work.

Dish washer at local restaurant (if they have any customers left).

Evening shelf stacker in Tesco.

Web cam gay p o r n gimp.

MPwannadecentincome
4th November 2008, 13:28

That's cheap - last time I had to redo the kitchen it alone cost £15,000!

jim2406
4th November 2008, 13:29
read every post on moneysavingexpert.com and figure out how to reduce your outgoings

go through all of your monthly bills and see if you can pay less for any of them either by switching suppliers, tarrifs, getting rid of the expense altogether, etc

go through your home and ensure it's as energy efficient as possible

do your shopping at a combination of fresh markets (fishmongers / meat markets) and chinese supermarkets (most staples cost about 1/2 of what they do at tesco, asda etc). after you've done this, if you can't already, learn to cook properly from fresh ingredients.

keep an eye on MPG you are getting out of your car and adjust driving accordingly if needed.

if you have sky, and are paying for movies, phone them and tell them you're thinking of cancelling, they'll give you 6 months for free.

if you temporarily need to have more money still, change one of your mortgages to interest-only for 12 months, most providers will do this in the current climate (i've done this)

if you are paying high interest on any loans look into ways it can be made cheaper (there are still 0% cards, i just got one with halifax)

the above steps, if you haven't done them already, will probably save you as much money as taking on a low paid second job

Start a blog related to your professional discpline and experiences (or perhaps something not related to IT that you're interested in), gain readership, then sell advertising space

Learn to play online poker to a high standard

sell lots of stuff on ebay

hope this helps

Platypus
4th November 2008, 13:29
That's cheap - last time I had to redo the kitchen it alone cost £15,000!

That's cheap - last time I had to redo the bathroom it alone cost £27,000!

Mich the Tester
4th November 2008, 13:31
Newspaper delivery boy.

Bar work.

Dish washer at local restaurant (if they have any customers left).

Evening shelf stacker in Tesco.

Web cam gay p o r n gimp.Can you provide references for these roles Mr Platypus?

d000hg
4th November 2008, 13:34

We are talking new bathroom, kitchen and lounge. Literally.What happened to your savings from contracting?

oracleslave
4th November 2008, 13:34
Learn to play online poker to a high standard

And you were doing so well. If you're looking to make decent money doing this you had better be very good. Problem is it costs money to get that good.

d000hg
4th November 2008, 13:39
Learn to play online poker to a high standardThink it would also get boring. It would be almost as bad as working in testing/QA...

jim2406
4th November 2008, 13:43
i only mention that because i know 2 people who make a good amount of money (well into the thousands a month) out of it by playing like robots in several low-stakes games at once

personally i wouldn't do it :)

Mich the Tester
4th November 2008, 13:44
Think it would also get boring. It would be almost as bad as working in testing/QA...
No, testing's much worse, but I'm no good at anything else and who's going to pay me a ton a year to clean windows?

d000hg
4th November 2008, 14:02
i only mention that because i know 2 people who make a good amount of money (well into the thousands a month) out of it by playing like robots in several low-stakes games at once

personally i wouldn't do it :)If you can play like a robot you should just write one to play for you. I know such software exists but I've no idea if it's actually any good - a decent poker bot would require advanced knowledge of game theory and other high-brow academic stuff, but low-stakes games tend to be full of idiots and as you say, just playing the odds mechanically can be enough especially in limit Holdem or 5-card-draw.

I've thought of playing poker as a possibility if I had enough saved up to not need to work for a while... it's probably my plan D right now :)

jim2406
4th November 2008, 14:10
one of the aforementioned 2 people uses screen-scraping software he wrote to give himself an edge, but it 'tells him what to do' - it doesn't do it for him.

to write software to do it for you, you'd need a good understanding of C++, the win32 api etc. and you'd also need to be able to write something realistic enough to evade the many anti-bot filters built into poker software

there's a 6-part article floating around the web about how to write a poker bot - interesting reading